Back swimmers... Why?

Mar 29, 2016
Chicago,IL
Kind of confused on this whole back swimmer issue. My buddy told me I shouldn't have any in my pool and I've done some research and that seems correct. I did find 2 small algae spots 2 weeks ago and have treated that. I never showed any cc in my testing so still confused by that. I slammed last week before the 4th and definetly noticed a difference in the water. The bottom now feels squeaky clean as before it was "slickish" in spots I feel. I had a couple back swimmers here and there in the pool before. But last night I noticed another big one in there and today he was still there. I also found a tiny one by my ladder. It's driving me buts cause I feel my pool is perfectly maintained and they shouldn't be there. Should I be concerned? Should I add anything. My friend recommended algacide but thought that was a waste. I already have a 50ppm borates in the pool and my chlorine I have kept above 4 since the holiday. I also was only running my pump for 2 - 4hr intervals on low but since have increased to 6 hrs. I'm curious if anyone has felt running there pump on low was not sufficient enough and ran on high. I definetly see a huge increase in circulation on high and cotemplating keeping it on high.

Todays results
Fc-5
cc-0
ta-170
ch-100
ph-7.8
borates-50
cya-28 but feel it should show higher as I added enough stabilizer to get to 35

My pool is maintained perfectly....they still get in some times.

I see them usually when it's clear blue sky and sunny, between 11-1 they might be in the water.

They fly in.

For some reason I never see them after 1.

If you release them, they come back, so I just quickly get them in the net then crunch.

Nothing to do with your pool chemistry.

They are harmless (no teeth) but unsightly / creepy looking. My Niece is terrified of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.