Wrong Target FC Value

michaelrbanks

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
I think I've been wasting bleach, but looking for confirmation. Last season I had my pool at 40 CYA and was targeting 6 PPM when I balanced my pool. After excessive rains earlier in the year, I checked my CYA before this swim season and it had dropped to 30. I JUST realized I never updated my target FC value in the PoolPal app and I've been adding bleach up to 6 PPM when I should have been shooting for 4.

So the question - since I've been over-chlorinating my pool given my current level of CYA, has the extra 2 PPM of bleach just been wasted in the Texas sun?

I would venture a guess and say in the grand scheme of things, as long as you weren't falling really low before adding, it wouldn't add up to that much. Say you were falling to 4 and dosing to 6. If you were at 4 and falling to 2, in the end it would be similar. Though, you may have lost a wee bit more, percentage wise at 6. I wouldn't fret too much about it. (In the Texas heat, you might want to think about raising it to 60 or so.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.