Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: soil conditions

1. Back To Top    #1

soil conditions

I am installing a 24' agp- my soil is on the sandy side. We have gone down to virgin soil and it seems well compacted. We will be installing 2"x8"x16" patio blocks at posts. I know this is site specific, but will this be ok for overall support at posts and under bottom rails? Also, I plan on using 1.5" insulation as a base- any thoughts on that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22K gal IG Vinyl 18'x36' rectangle (Hydra Pool Kit, Homebuilt DIY Spring09) 8' deep end
    Aqua Genie (No Main Drain, No Separate Returns), Hayward 1.5hp Pump, 24" sand filter & 2" Pipes, Jandy WaterColors LED Light, Flyte DeckII/FibreDive Board

:sun: Added for 2010~ SWG CompuPool CPSC36, "The Pool Cleaner 2x" suction cleaner, PICS of our DIY build, and our DIY Lime Green SLIDE refinishing project!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: soil conditions

Hey, welcome to the forum.

I'm not an AG pool guy but one of our experts (like Ted or Dennis) will be along soon to advise.

I do have some experience in soil prep, however, and what you have done to this point looks absolutlely outstanding! I cannot imagine that sandy base giving youany trouble becuse you have prepped it so well.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

As long as you are at undisturbed soil, you should be all set to put in the blocks and put up the pool 8) You may want to run a compactor over the bottom after making the cove and walking on it a little before you drop the liner

I truly hope the pool is forever trouble free
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Ted- thanks! Run compactor even though using 1.5" foam as a base? I plan on putting cove on top of 1.5" insulation and using a vapor barrier behind the cove to prevent washout...

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!!

As long as you are at undisturbed soil, you should be all set to put in the blocks and put up the pool 8) You may want to run a compactor over the bottom after making the cove and walking on it a little before you drop the liner

I truly hope the pool is forever trouble free
    22K gal IG Vinyl 18'x36' rectangle (Hydra Pool Kit, Homebuilt DIY Spring09) 8' deep end
    Aqua Genie (No Main Drain, No Separate Returns), Hayward 1.5hp Pump, 24" sand filter & 2" Pipes, Jandy WaterColors LED Light, Flyte DeckII/FibreDive Board

:sun: Added for 2010~ SWG CompuPool CPSC36, "The Pool Cleaner 2x" suction cleaner, PICS of our DIY build, and our DIY Lime Green SLIDE refinishing project!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd rather err on the side of caution than have a pool bottom that resembles the moon's surface :P

Do it once, do it right and never have to worry about it again 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)