New to maintaining an inground pool

Jul 8, 2016
Front Royal/VA
I have a 25,000 gallon inground pool, with a brand new sand filter installed. I have had issues with as soon as I get the pool clear, it turns green.

Just had my water tested and my readings were
TDS: 400
CYA: 94
Total Clorine: 0
Free Chlorine: 0
PH: 8
Tot. Alk: 192
Tot. Hardness 150
Borates: 1
Saturation Idx: .7

Using the pool calculator, it is telling me I need to add 11 1/2 boxes of Borax, 82 oz of muratic acid, and 6 gallon jugs of bleach. I am unsure of the order to add this into the pool exactly.....

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, the first thing I/we would recommend is to stay out of the pool store for their free testing and use your own test kit - either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below). Why these kits? We've learned through extensive practice that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. Personnel training, lighting, and product sales influence accurate testing too much. In addition, simple test kits do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

If I knew those were reputable tests above, I would say the following:
1 - Don't do anything until you replace about 30% of that water to lower the CYA to around 60 at least.
2- Once refilled, increase FC to the appropriate target level as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below)
3 - Lower pH with muriatic acid to the mid-7s

Also, what type of in-ground pool do you have? Plaster, vinyl, etc? Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

At this point, I would not waste any money adding products to the water (except some bleach perhaps) until you confirm the true readings with your own test kit. From there, your first chore may be to do a partial water exchange. Keep us posted and let us know if you have nay other questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.