Can I fill a 33' round AGP w/garden hose and well water??

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
Won't be filling it until we get the site prepped and ready..but was wondering if we can just use our garden hose and aunts garden hose from next door to fill the 33' round pool we'll get?? Both will be well water. We filled our 15' round twice in the past two years with just our well with no problems..just took several hours in the day for it to fill up. I'm sure it would take a few days to fill up...but my only concern was...will it use up all the water in our well? That may be a silly question....but doesn't this size pool roughly hold about 25,000 gallons? I think its a 33' x 54" round. A man in our cafe this morning told me it wouldn't run my well dry..just will take a few days to fill the pool up with just our well and hose though. Is that true? I don't mind using well water...just don't want to use all the water up. LOL

Depends on your water table, but shouldn't be a problem (don't do it in a drought!).
Here's a hint I learned when I filled my pool from my well: use two hoses. Household water pumps are very good at running continuously, but not so good at stopping and starting. With two hoses, the pump runs continuously, saving wear and tear, while it turns on and off with only one (I don't know why). I ran the regular outside hose, along with another from inside the house. It took a couple of days to fill, but I had no problems with either the pump or the well after.

You would need to know the capacity and recharge rate of your well to know for sure. You can indeed run them dry if you exceed the recharge rate for too long of a time. Most wells have a storage capacity of say 500 gallons and it recharges continously at so many gallons per minute. Worst case if it runs dry is to stop and wait for it to recharge for a day or two.

It will take quite a while depending on the flow rate of your water system. Say it is 10 gallons per minute (execellent these days consider most new sink faucets and showers are limited to 2.5 gallons per minute).

There are 1440 minutes in a day, so 14,400 gallons in 24 hours. So figure about 48 hours to fill it from one source.

You could check with your city if they have a water district. You can usually buy water from them and have a tanker deliver it for you. Would save the stress on your well.

You would need to know the capacity and recharge rate of your well to know for sure. You can indeed run them dry if you exceed the recharge rate for too long of a time. Most wells have a storage capacity of say 500 gallons and it recharges continously at so many gallons per minute.
Heed the above quote carefully. It is very easy to run a well dry and the end result will be to get mud and muck into the well.....conceivably for a good period of time. Because you are unaware of that, you most likely don't have that problem in your area because it's not something you take lightly.

My well is 350' deep and produces 1.5 gpm with a storage capacity of about 400 gallons. A typicval hose outlet will produce 5-7gpm depending on the preset pressure of your pump. If you do that math you can see that my well is simply not capable of filling a swimming pool. Thats probably not that common but it's food for thought.

Additionally, well water is infamous for iron content and once iron is in your pool, you will have issues for the rest of the pool's life.

I would know the gpm my well can produce and I would test it for iron before I started filling my pool with it.

You are correct, we do not have the mud issue where I have the well. Yes, not a good thing to run dry to mud, especially for the life of the pump.

We have quartz strata that our wells go through and usually deep (700 feet) so we don't get mud when we run them dry. I know I have 1200 gallons storage (8" wide well) and a slow recharge, so I will have the water delivered once I have the pool up.

The local city will sell you water and let you haul it yourself with a rented water truck. :)

Wow, our original well ran dry in 1989 and the new one cost - $1000 to a well driller who came up dry on two attempts to 279 feet and 350 feet, $20 to a well witcher with two willow rods, a case a beer and bbq ribs for a friend with a backhoe who dug just 7' down to open the flowing stream that runs for miles and miles along the ridge we live on that the well witcher found, $40 for the culvert we dropped in to contain the well and $4 diesel fuel to dump a load of pea rock into the bottom from our own gravel pit across the road.

With this, we fill our pool - sparkling clean water - the only problem was that the culvert was not stainless steel so we have rust from the culvert to deal with. Sequesterants take care of that.

OKay...so if I were to attempt to buy the water with the city...do I call our local water dept office? We are a SMALL town...population 1600...one red light...the police dept/mayor office/water dept are all in one little building. LOLOL Oh..and the fire dept/ems too. LOL What do I ask? I've never had to call to BUY a load of water before. LOLOL Do I just tell them we're setting up a 33' pool and would like to purchase water to fill it? And WHERE would I rent a water tank truck at??? I've never heard of "renting" a water truck before..at least no where near here that is! I wouldn't even know where to call for one or look for one to rent around this area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just call the city and ask if you can get water from them to fill a pool. They will let you know.

The town I am getting it from is only 1,700. :)

You may even be able to get the fire department to fill it for you too. Depends how nice they are in your town.

Your "local" pool place or "pool boy" can also usually tell you where / who delivers water. I'm also on well. 470 feet deep and the capability to fill in a day or 2 . . . but I'm just planning to fill the first 15-24 inches (just until the liner starts to seat .... , give me a chance to remove any wrinkles.....etc and then I'll have the "water dude" stop out with the truck.

If I'm not mistaken, my neighbors IGP takes about 25,000 gallons and it was something like $250.00 for the water. Pretty cost effective for the time savings (at least to me) so that's the route I'm going,.

Depending on where you are this just may not be an option, but I'm guessing down there in TX where pools abound, someone must deliver water.

This was not an option for us. The only one who did that was in Fargo - 125 miles away. People up here have never heard of delivering water - filling your own tank for mixing with chemicals for spraying a crop, yes, buying water in someone elses tank to deliver to a pool, goodness no. lol. Even the fire dept looked at me like I was from Mars.

I paid to get my pool water delivered.. I believe it costed me $500 for 2 trucks.. 4 years ago when my house was being built, the excavator called the Fire department and they sent a Water Truck and flooded my Garage floor to compact it.. It was all donation so i have no clue what he gave him..

NWMNMom, I hear you.

Even though we are pretty populated here, the fire dept will pretty much chase you out of the firehouse if you asked them to stop out and fill your pool.

It's funny. When I was a kid, it was pretty much a routine occurance during the start of Summer. We'd all gather around and watch the fireman fill the pools. I thought to myself - "who's going to fight the fires if we use all the water for our pools"! --- Times change.

I was also incorrect, my neighbor did mention to me that it was appx $225-$250 PER TRUCKLOAD. (I think he only had one truck "top off" after partially draining for a repair.). I think even at $500, it's still pretty cost effective for the savings in time and the reduced "load" on my well, pump etc. I'm glad I have the option.

Pool4me,

We had our IGP filled by the Souderton Fire Department back in '77.

Looks like the times have changed in Montgomery/Bucks County PA since then.

Then again, it helped that my father knew all the guys in the Fire Department. :)

We are in a small town and the city has a place that you can fill water tanks for 25 cents for 50-100 gallons (it never seems to fill the same amount on each quarter). We bought a water tank for the truck that hold 425 gallons. For less than $2 we have a tank of water. We have low water pressure and lots of metals in our well and we didn't want to use it to fill the pool. This has been a cost effective solution for us. Whenever our water level gets low from backwashing or excessive splash out and at the beginning of the season we load up the tank and get clean fill water.

Well..its a no go on our fire dept here. My brother said they changed the rules last year after he got his water..they no longer will provide water for pools, even if your a member. Seems a waste when they drain the fire hydrants the way they do in the streets. lol I've called all the lease services here and the vaccum services and no one has a clean truck anyhow. So even though the city will sell bulk water..what good is that if you have no way to transport it? Sheesh.

I called the water well people that did the well here and they said there should be no problem in filling the pool...but just to do it at night while we're asleep, then in the morning..shut it off so it can refill or whatever during the day while we're at work. It may take us about 3 or 4 days that way..but its free. We have a submersible pump so its not the old kind above ground and click on and off constantly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.