Pentair 320 Inline Chlorinator - Top Feed vs. Bottom Feed?

Jul 8, 2016
Spring, TX
Hello,

I have a salt water pool and my AquaPure 1400 chlorine generator is currently not working (may have to create another post for that guy). Anyways, I tossed some 3" tabs in my Pentair 320 and I am now generating chlorine.

My question is...What is the difference between the Pentair 320 being setup as Top Fed vs. Bottom Fed? Mine is set up as Top Fed but all the user manuals I found online only discuss bottom fed systems.

Thanks,

Tony Tempo
~15,000 In Ground Salt Water | Jandy CL460 Filter | Pump - Need to Update | Heater - Need to Update
Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorine Generator | Pentair 320 Inline Chlorine Generator
Polaris 260 Vac Sweep Cleaning System | Booster Pump - Need to Update

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP Tony :wave:

Unless you need to up your CYA a bit I'd quit using the tablets and switch to liquid bleach for a chlorinator until you get the SWCG fixed.

The tablets add chlorine and CYA. The chlorine gets used up but the CYA doesn't. It just continues to build up. The chlorinator is kind of nice if you end up being gone for a few days and your CYA level can handle a little added CYA. Using them all the time is where people can run into trouble with excessive CYA levels.

From what I've read, bottom feed is the standard install and you move it to top feed if you aren't getting enough flow to dissolve the tablets.

With my pool (and many others it seems) even with the unit in top feed it still doesn't provide enough flow to produce enough chlorine to keep pace with demand in summer. Installing the high flow kit (R171099) taking the inlet feed from further upstream where the pressure is higher, seems to have improved the situation for many people. Personally I've used it for a year and am junking it and move to liquid chlorine....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.