reset button won't reset

UTgal

Jul 8, 2016
Hattiesburg, MS
Purchased my intex pump and sand filter last summer and it has worked great until now. We had a pretty heavy thunderstorm come through and now the reset button on the cord will not reset.( It is unplugged from ext. cord) Not sure if it got wet or had a power surge. I placed the cord in the sun in an attempt to dry it, in case that is what happened but still no reset. Is there anything I can do/check before purchasing a new pump?

Just guessing that reset is an inline GFCI? If it is those will not reset unless they have power, so it having it unplugged may be the problem. Check to make sure the outlet has power and plug it in and try again. If it still doesn't reset, that is also the typical failure mode for a GFCI by design, when it can no longer protect you it fails in a way such that you can't reset it and thus can't keep using it unprotected.

If that is what failed I don't know if you can just get a replacement cord/GCFI or need a whole new pump, but it seems like a GCFI cord replacement should be available.

A new cord would be less expensive than a new pump, if you can access the cord without destroying the pump housing. How big is your pool?

The GFCI unit on our old pump failed last year and I just replaced it with a normal 3 prong plug. The outlet that it was plugged into is a GFCI outlet. No need for two GFCI's in series.

To the OP, smell the GFCI unit and if it smells like it was hot, then its bad.

Reactions: DuckPond
Thank you to everyone that resonded!
I found out this morning that there was a lightening strike in my yard 2 days ago ( I wasn't home at the time). I prayed hard that my pump had not been burned up! I ended up performing electrical surgery on the plug and discovered that it was a replaceable part. Lowes had the part for $14. It is now running great! Not bad for an old lady!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.