Cloudy pool 10 X 30 Intex Easy Set

efranklin

Jul 8, 2016
St. Petersburg, FL
I recently set up an Intex 10 X 30 Easy Set pool. I learned a little bit about leveling. :)

I came home a couple of days ago to a cloudy pool. This morning I used a cheap pool test kit at Wal-Mart. I realized I need to get a different test that I think I have seen mentioned here on these forums, which I will order tonight. I am attaching pictures of the results. I guess you are supposed to judge based on color with this test kit. I also then tested the water coming out of my kitchen sink to compare. The one labeled 20160708_073610 is from the pool water (in my preview of the post it is the one in the middle). The other two are from my kitchen sink. I took one picture outside as I read I am to do the readings in daylight.

Last night I ordered a new pump ( Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 1000 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden ), this cleaning kit ( Amazon.com : Intex Basic Cleaning Kit for Pools : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden ) and some extra filters for my pump. The pump that came with my pool--it does appear that the filter is dirty and I learned that I don't think I can buy replacement filters in town. No sense in buying some online with the new pump on the way.

I believe my pool holds about 1,000 gallons of water so I've been adding about 1/2 cup of bleach every night. I might have missed one night but only one night. Eventually I think I will get a salt water pump. I am calling this my learning pool. I plan to move up to a small frame pool next year, something that will be 48 inches high.

I put the bleach in last night and ran the pump all night. I'm hesitant to leave the pump running all day while I'm at work.

The pool cleaning tools arrive tomorrow but I don't think the pump gets here until Tuesday or Wednesday. Is there anything else I can do until that new pump gets here to help decrease the cloudiness? I will clean it on Saturday. Just thought I would check in for any advice, hoping the sounding refrain isn't going to be "drain the pool and start over." Been there, done that with the leveling. :)

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20160708_080054.jpg
    20160708_080054.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20160708_073610.jpg
    20160708_073610.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20160708_074755.jpg
    20160708_074755.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 29
Welcome to TFP :)

The easiest and fastest way is to empty the pool and refill with that size pool... BUT... you do not have to :)

With a K-2006 or a TF100 test kit you can get that pool whipped into shape, you may be able to get away with a 6 way test kit from leslies or walmart if your not going to go to a bigger pool, but it sounds like you are... If you invest in a great test kit and use it on the little pool you will be a pro by the time you get a bigger pool :)

Let us know the way you want to go and we can get you going :)

Here are some links to check out..
Pool School - Pool School

if you just want to use what you have check this link out :)
Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Thanks. While I do plan to go to a bigger pool, I think I will wait until I have made that purchase before I go with one of those test kits. I know I have read a lot to go for that purchase but I will wait until I get that frame pool on clearance at Target at the end of season. And it would make a nice Christmas gift for someone to give me. You mention a 6 way test kit from Walmart. I see this one: 6-Way Test Kit with Testing Block and Case for Swimming Pools and Spas - Walmart.com and this one: Taylor K-1312 Swimming Pool Spa SureTrack 6 Way Dip-N-Read Test Kit Strips - Walmart.com Does one seem better than the other?

Thanks for the other links. I have been doing some reading. I think I will clean out the pool this weekend with the brush after it arrives but I think I will end up draining the pool and filling it up again. It might be nice to start out the new filter pump with a clean pool. And if there is one thing I have experience with, it's draining the pool and filling it up again. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.