Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many GPM for my equipment?

1. Back To Top    #1

How many GPM for my equipment?

I'm trying to determine how long my pump needs to run each day.
    Can someone look at my equipment and give me a guess how many GPM my pump is putting out.
    I've looked at the pump curves, but don't understand it all.

The pump is about 20 feet from the pool (horizontally) and below the water level. The pump is probably even with about the middle of the deep end.
    The pipes that are above ground are 2 inch PVC.

The PCC 2000 floor cleaning system manual says that it needs a minimum of 60 gpm @ 70 TDH

Is that enough info to make an educated guess?
    In-Ground. White Marbelite plaster. 21'-7" x 38' Figure Eightish Custom diving pool with 9' deep end. 24,750 Gallons. Pentair Challenger 2 hp pump, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 Cartridge Filter, Paramount PCC-2000 In Floor Cleaning system with Debris Canister. Pool/House was a foreclosure that sat dormant for at least 2 years, and was an actual swamp. Using BBB and POP I made it a sparkling backyard oasis. I have a TF100 kit, and I know how to use it (mostly!). This is my FIRST REAL pool, but thanks to TFP, I know what I'm doing! (mostly!).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many GPM for my equipment?

You should read How To Determine Pump Run Time in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually that's what led me to ask the question. I started there.

I know I need one or two turn-overs per day, but I have no idea how long my pump needs to run to turn over once.

If I knew the GPM of my pump and equipment, I could do the simple math and figure it out, but I have no idea how many GPM I am pushing through my pipes.

Is there some way that I can figure this out that I've overlooked?

I was hoping that someone who works with this pool stuff could just say "Oh the challenger 2hp pump puts out about xx gpm, and given your equipment you are probably putting out XX gpm".
    In-Ground. White Marbelite plaster. 21'-7" x 38' Figure Eightish Custom diving pool with 9' deep end. 24,750 Gallons. Pentair Challenger 2 hp pump, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 Cartridge Filter, Paramount PCC-2000 In Floor Cleaning system with Debris Canister. Pool/House was a foreclosure that sat dormant for at least 2 years, and was an actual swamp. Using BBB and POP I made it a sparkling backyard oasis. I have a TF100 kit, and I know how to use it (mostly!). This is my FIRST REAL pool, but thanks to TFP, I know what I'm doing! (mostly!).

4. Back To Top    #4

It is complicated, especially with an in-floor cleaning system. That is why Determining Your Pump Run Time suggests ignoring all that and using a visual determination of the water quality to figure out the ideal pump run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School