does this pump sound normal?

That sounds very loud to me. I can't help diagnose why but I can say that is what mine sounded like not long before it quit (fried) and tripped the breaker. We replaced the motor after that.

Maybe another more knowledgable person can help you save your motor before it melts the faceplate like mine did.

I contacted Hayward and they say maybe bad bearing after I told them it's running loud. They never saw this clip. The pump is installed on the outside wall of the family room and I can hear it hum pretty loud. I never notice it before, just making sure I'm not just imagining.

Loud hayward variable speed pump - YouTube

It also depends on how you recorded the clip- mobile mic amplifier auto- adjusts to the volume creating impression of the sound being 'loud'. It would help if you said something with normal voice during the clip for reference. Did you try to switch to lower speed? Bearings in general don't go bad on their own- it's usually a bad seal letting water through which causes rust which eats the bearing and you get noise at the end. This kind of problem tends to make noise louder with time as bearing wears out. I still expect you to have weeks if not months before it seizes completely. I don't expect it to burn anything suddenly.

thanks James, I just sent them the clip with my serial #. I wonder how Hayward customer services is. I think the pump only have 1 year warranty because I DIY the install and I'm already pass that. I can't seem to find any warranty information online

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the motor made by Hanning Elektro-Werke?
Can you post a picture of the motor label?

Yup it is,
20160708_163248_resized.jpg

We have a 1.5HP 2-speed Pentair Optiflow (in use for 2 months). At high speed it normally sounds like yours (loud at a distance of 1.5 ft). Over the years during my career as a consulting engineer (retired now), I've heard many pumps run (up to 75HP). I've never been responsible for maintaining them though. To me your pump sounds okay except for the fact you haven't noticed it being this loud before.

Have you always had air in the pump Basket? Air in the system can cause some noise. When we run our pump (below water level) on high, air disappears from the pump basket quickly, and we bleed it off with the filter. Could something be restricting your pump suction? That could make your pump work hard (be noisy), too, and a suction restriction could be why you have air in your pump basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.