SWG Started - No Chlorine in Pool Today

Apr 27, 2016
San Antonio, TX
After emptying our pool, re-leveling and refilling it this past weekend, we started our Intex SWG last night and ran it for 7 hours, I expected to test the chlorine today and get a reading. When I tested it, there was NO chlorine. Not sure what we did wrong. We did not have CYA in there so we added 2.5 lbs. of it tonight. Is there something else we need to be doing? SWG is on and shows 'working' with no error codes. Advice greatly appreciated!

Always add bleach to raise your FC above minimum if the SWG is not keeping up. Then figure out what the issue is. FC below minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], is an unsanitary pool with increased risk of person to person disease transmission and algae can also grow.

Often when the SWG can't keep up it is because there is algae in the pool consuming chlorine as fast as it is being produced. You can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm. If the test fails then kill the algae with a SLAM Process

1. Are you using one of the preferred test kits?
2. Did you add salt and let it disolve with the pump running for 24 hours before turning in the SWG on?
3. Using Pool Math add the appropriate amount of plain bleach until the SWG is producing chlorine.

Sorry this is short. I'm on my phone and not at the computer.

I'm sure an expert will give you more in depth information soon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1. We are using a basic test kit from Leslie's right now.
2. We added the Morton pool salt and stirred it around until dissolved. We ran the pump 14 hours and then again for 45 minutes before turning on the SWG last night.
3. Will get the bleach and add in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Still trying to get our water chemistry correct. Tested the FC in the pool yesterday morning and it had started coming up to 1 ppm with just the SWG. Decided to do a BOOST and see if it continued coming up. Stop laughing now. Tested again this morning and the FC has dropped slightly. Just added 52 oz. of 8.25% bleach. Here are my current test results:

FC = was just under 1 ppm - added 52 oz. bleach
pH = 8.1
TA = 260 ppm
Copper = 0.1 ppm per the test strips that came with the Intex SWG

What should I do now? Add the muriatic acid? Amazingly, the pool is crystal clear right now. Also, what would be the best test kit for my type of pool out of the ones listed on TFPC?

The TF-100 is the best test kit.

You need bleach and acid in the pool. Add them 15 minutes apart and brush with each addition.

The pH can be adjusted every 30 minutes until it reads around 7.5. Once the pH is above 7.8 it is difficult to read and it might take more acid than you think to drop it down to 7.5. Only add enough acid to drop it down from 8.1 to 7.5 to begin with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.