Pool pump timer working in reverse and get stuck on on switc

earnie

May 27, 2009
Newbie to pool world just bought house.

Almost everything is working. except
I have those T30401R Intermatic Dual Timing Center For Complete Pool and Cleaner Automation
YELLOW round timer for cleaner pump (which is making loud noice but thats for another topic). The timer works in reverse order (ex: 8 7 6 5 4) so i know the timer motor inside is working. But everytime when it gets close to the "ON" switch its stop working also in reverse order and ofcourse won't turn on my pool cleaner. Any suggestion what to do?

I'm no expert but since no one else answered your question yet ----

It sounds like the motor is wired backwards - follow the two wires from the timer motor
and switch their connections (just the timer motor not any other wires)

The on off mechanism is designed to actuate in one direction only, so once the motor runs correctly everything else should start to function normally.

These are synchronous motors on AC lines. Those motors are designed to run in the same direction whichever way the AC wires are connected (note they are usually both white). In order to run backwards, I have to assume you have either a bum motor or a really strange mechanical fault. If it were mine, I'd invest in a new motor. They can be bought at any electrical supply house. Just ask for a motor for a T101 timer (thats the 110V side for the cleaner) if they have trouble dealing with your model number. If it turns out to be mechanical, the entire mechanism on either side can be easily replaced. The usual warning about electrical expertise and turning off ALL power to the box (both 230 volt legs should be made safe) of course apply.

For future reference, this reply from another site was spot-on for me, and a quick DIY fix:

"Direction is controlled by a gear inside the timer cap. When you open the Intermatic door (T100 series - mine is the 220v T104) look thru the circle near the top (use a flashlight) to see the little black gear in the back turning clockwise. If it's going CCW it's running backwards. Turn off power (breaker), unsnap the mechanism (release is at the inside top) and pull the guts forward to access the timer (careful of wiring). The timer cap (with the printing on it) can be carefully pried off with a sharp blade or pocket knife. Inside the 1" gear on the right can be lifted out. The position of the metal lever bar on the bottom side of this gear forces the magnet wheel next to it to go in the proper direction. The lever bar will turn until it contacts one of 2 plastic posts. Whichever one it was against, reposition it so the bar turns toward the other plastic post. Mine was running backwards because I took it apart to inspect it (worn gear) and when I modified it to work on the unworn part of the gear, I (mistakenly) installed the 1" gear in the wrong position, then had to figure out why it was running backwards. This position can't change by itself, so I assume your has ALWAYS run backwards. Running backward WILL cause the timer to bind up when it contacts the adjustable timer tabs. Check clearances of power wires before turning power back on to make sure nothing is shorting. "

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.