Add automatic drain valve to gas heater?

Sep 28, 2012
Has anyone used an automatic drain valve on a gas heater bypass loop?

I am replacing all the equipment on my pool pad, and doing a full re-plumbing job. I only use the gas heater a few times a year to heat the attached spa, so I am adding a bypass around the heater. I am thinking it would be a good thing if the water automatically drained out of the heater loop instead of sitting for months getting stale.

A simple sprinkler automatic drain valve should drain most of the water out when the loop is not pressurized. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dan

Mainly to reduce pressure loss, and to hopefully make the heater last longer. Since I only heat the spa a few times a year, I can't see any reason for it to be in the main pump pool all the time.

I did read on this forum where it was recommended to start the heater up occasionally, if only to chase away any critters thinking of setting up a nest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have any sort of automation?

If it was me, plumb in the bypass line and keep it open for normal day to day circulation. No less than weekly, close the bypass for 30 mins to circulate water through the heater and then open the bypass back up. I don't see any reason to drain the heater completely after each use but you'll need to stay on top of the water chemistry and be certain to run the heater in the loop frequently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.