New pool owner in upstate NY

z33tec

Jul 7, 2016
NY
New pool owner here. Don't know fully what I'm getting myself into yet. Pretty much gave up listening to the wife complain about how badly we need a pool and just said screw it... get one. So... here we are. On the bright side, my 3 year old daughter loves to swim and she's very excited. I never had a pool growing up so at least I can give her that.

Hope to learn a lot here!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Let us help save you some time and money right off the bat:
- Order the proper test kit (See TF-100 link below). The TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C will serve you well. Stay out of the pool stores & free testing.
- Visit the TFP Pool School (link below and top of web page). Basic "must knows" to get you going.
- Visit/bookmark the other links below in my sig and get used to them.

From there, with the right test kit, you'll do fine. Great to have you with us.

Also, before I forget .... please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Welcome to TFP z33tec :wave:

Try not to buy a lot of store chemicals for your new pool and if you can find out what the installer plans to put in there before they put it in there please post. So much easier to not put something in than try to fix it after it's already in there. Are you on "city" water or well ??

Installer is just putting the pool up and letting the hose fill it. Don't think they will be doing any chemicals or anything. They are just contractors that install the pool.

I am on regular city water.

I'd check with them and if they're not putting anything in make a run to the store for some stabilizer (CYA), muratic acid and bleach. You'll need to get some chlorine in there right away.

I'd try to find out what the total capacity is and when it's half full (half way to the skimmer) I'd add some stabilizer to give the TOTAL gallons of the pool a CYA of 30 and then use "Pool Math" to see how much bleach to add to get the pool to 4ppm and try to maintain that. Adding bleach you'd use approximately 1/2 the total capacity of the pool. At a CYA of 30 you should be at 4 and never go below 2.
Once you've added the stabilizer don't bother to test that value again for a week. Is your pool out in the open and shaded or not ??
Test the pH and see where you're at.

:testresults: