Pink slime or pink algea

Apr 16, 2013
Just wanted to post that I have been dealing with this for 3 years. Working with a chemist from a pool chemical company and spending tons of money nothing worked. I stumbled across a product called Aquafiness and have used it for one week and voila it's gone. YES!

I find it interesting that your previous posts at TFP (threee years ago by the way) were to sing the praises of a tab floater over an auto chlorinator. At that time the members here tried to explain that continued use of 3" tabs would lead to extremely high CYA and a pool that would become unmanageable. It would appear that your pool has reached that point.

Do you have any independent testing of the water with one of the recommended test kits?

We do not promote nor recommend products like this. We promote proper testing and additions of only what the pool needs, with none of the things it doesn't, like CYA and magic potions.

How much Pool School have you read? I would say learning and following our methods would have saved you the "tons of money" on products that didn't work. I would say start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

I don't want to jump on too much here but I didn't spend tons of money, followed TFPC with my prized TF-100 test kit and voila I don't have pink algae either. Yes! :)

Edit: OK, I had to go look it up. Their website says that it is a conditioner. First you have to balance PH, TA, CH and add approved sanitizer and then add this potion. The key here is to balance your water. If you balance your water and don't add the potion it will be good too. .

Wow, how hostile your remarks. I have gone thru pool school in the last three years. I have switched to using liquid chlorine and followed directions. No luck with all recommendations, that's why I tried this product. And yes VOILA I had luck! And by the way I have always used my Taylor test kit. Could it be there is more than one way to get results..I was only trying to help someone who might be having the same problem. Not promoting any brand...just a solution...
My water is tested every day...my readings have been spot on for 22 years..my CYA has never been high.

Sure, there is more than one way to do many things. It is very difficult to figure out what the ingredients are in the product. Which is suspicious in itself. Best we can tell it is Sodium Carbonate and Disodium Silicate and neither one of those will kill algae. What does the label say about the ingredients? And what do you think killed the algae?

from what I have read is that the pink bacteria are surrounded by a biofilm. This product is supposed to destroy that film so your chlorine can do its job on the bacteria...all I know is that it was gone completely in a day and is just a weekly treatment...it does not give the ingredients.

That is an interesting read. I guess the moral of that story is brush the pool, maintain chlorine levels and don't let bacteria and biofilms grow in the pool to begin with. But, if you do, then this product has helped a couple of folks.

We are certainly glad that your pool is clear. :paddle:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.