Hello - thank you from a noob

May 27, 2009
Last summer I purchased a house in NW Florida with an in ground pool (18 x 36). We inherited a professional weekly pool service from a local reputable family run business. Even though in the dead of winter our pool water temp would fall into the 50's - I continued to swim. I love cold water and use a wet suit. (Probably why I am in the Coast Guard)..
My sand filter is due for a change out and I am going to switch to zeolite. My pool guy says he sees noticeable change in water clarity between the sand and zeolite. I read the pro's and con's on this site and I will report on how much of an impact it has.
I almost fell into the Nature2 trap. My neighbor swears by his. My pool guy said he installs them, but he did not think I needed one. He said my pool maintains good balance as is. My thought was “if it makes it better, why not”. This site provided me with great info so I could make an informed decision. I will not add it. The thought of turning my daughter’s hair green was enough for me to not add it.
When my pool maintenance contract expires, I am planning on taking on the pool maintenance myself. My pool guy said he would help me and any time I had concerns, just bring in a pool water sample and he would let me know what I needed.

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found us!

No need for you to take any pool water samples to your pool guy. Once your contract runs out, you can take over yourself rather easily, and do so by testing your own water with a good test kit. The TF-100 (link in my sig) is the best way to go for value.

Strike Z said:
...When my pool maintenance contract expires, I am planning on taking on the pool maintenance myself. My pool guy said he would help me and any time I had concerns, just bring in a pool water sample and he would let me know what I needed...
Welcome to the crowd :wave: !

I'd strongly recommend that you go ahead and get a good test kit and "get to know your pool and water" before the contract expires. It's better to know what you have and what to expect before you need it.

You'll need either the TF-100 or Taylor K2006. Here is the link for the comparison between the 2 kits: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison
Most of us use the TF100 as it's a good deal and the support is excellent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.