New Kit, Green Pool

Mms6

Jun 29, 2016
Omaha, NE
I posted a few days ago RE a cloudy pool. K-2006 kit arrived today though the cloudy pool turned green over the holiday weekend, have been adding 1 gal 10% bleach each day. Took the following readings at 4:00 PM Central (Omaha):
FC 6.5
CC .8
CYA 85
PH 8
TA 130

Thought the CYA was rather high, retested and was spot on. Added 3 3/4 gal 10% bleach at 4:00 to per pool math.

6:30 retested with the following:
FC 22.5
CC 2
CYA 100
PH 8

Should I be alarmed with the CYA increasing so much during the SLAM? Thought I'd ask before having to deal with draining a bunch of water.

Did you perform both the CYA tests under the same conditions? The proper way is back to the sun, holding it with two fingers, waist high. If you didn't add anything else with stabilizer and are solely using bleach or liquid chlorine, it shouldn't increase.

I posted a few days ago RE a cloudy pool. K-2006 kit arrived today though the cloudy pool turned green over the holiday weekend, have been adding 1 gal 10% bleach each day. Took the following readings at 4:00 PM Central (Omaha):
FC 6.5
CC .8
CYA 85
PH 8
TA 130

Thought the CYA was rather high, retested and was spot on. Added 3 3/4 gal 10% bleach at 4:00 to per pool math.

6:30 retested with the following:
FC 22.5
CC 2
CYA 100
PH 8

Should I be alarmed with the CYA increasing so much during the SLAM? Thought I'd ask before having to deal with draining a bunch of water.

Hi there

Your CYA shouldn't go up unless you added any or any recently. One thing though about that test is it's subjective and accuracy and consistently is dependent upon proper lighting conditions. This links has extended directions with notes. Extended Test Kit Directions

This is why I wanted to check with you guys before doing more. The only difference between the tests, both done the same way you described but one was when it was sunny and about 90 degrees, the second was cloudy and temp dropped about 10 degrees after just raining a little.

The test really is a reliable way to test.......better than pool stores for CYA but I think you could count on + or - 10. In large part because there is subjectivity. It takes time getting used to and knowing your own pool.

Just to clarify, you don't have any tablets in a feeder in that pool, right? Those add CYA

This is why I wanted to check with you guys before doing more. The only difference between the tests, both done the same way you described but one was when it was sunny and about 90 degrees, the second was cloudy and temp dropped about 10 degrees after just raining a little.

In that case, I'd go with the first, rounding to 90 if you aren't going to drain. (If you need to SLAM, and you do if it's green, it will be easier for you to do if you get the CYA down by draining.)

Is there a calculation on how much to drain to get it down to a reasonable level?

Use pool math. There is a link at the top of the web page. Plug in your "now" numbers and your targets. There is also a section of the bottom that will calculate the affects of adding different chemicals. Be sure to have your pool size plugged in at top too.

- - - Updated - - -

Good reminder, there's actually a floating tablet chlorinator. I need to remove that! Coud that have raised it that much in that much water?

Back to pool school for you ;)
Read these
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And post questions when you have them.

HA! Didn't even see it and I've been studying it for a few days. Have it draining now. Thanks for all the assistance.

- - - Updated - - -

Good reminder. I think I've read the ABCs every night until I fall asleep. I'm in the process of building the deck, run my own business and now dealing with the pool. Too much for a brain to take in in such a short time!
Use pool math. There is a link at the top of the web page. Plug in your "now" numbers and your targets. There is also a section of the bottom that will calculate the affects of adding different chemicals. Be sure to have your pool size plugged in at top too.- - - Updated - - -Back to pool school for you ;)Read thesePool School - ABCs of Pool Water ChemistryPool School - SLAM - Shock Level And MaintainAnd post questions when you have them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drained 30% of the pool last evening shooting for 70-80 CYA, chance of storms so I didn't want to go lower than that with the water. Filled today, just got results.

CYA 80
FC 4.5
CC .5
PH 7.6
TA 110

Lots of "stuff" on the bottom so I thought after adding chlorine to get 31 shock target I'd vacuum. One vacuuming I looked at the return and it was shooting green stuff. Put it back to skimming and it cleared up from the return and I checked the pressure. Should I brush it instead of vacuuming? Where I did vacuum I could see the bottom for quite a ways. Getting excited!

Pressure was normal at 12 lbs. Was there just too much going into the filter or is there something with the sand in the filter? We completely flushed the sand this spring before opening and have been backwashing and rinsing almost daily.

Water has turned from bright green to very nice blue this evening. Can even see the bottom when I vacuumed this evening. Thanks for all the assistance! I think the peeps at Walmart thought I was crazy, bought 50 jugs of chlorine in the last five days.

I have two questions if you don't mind. Here's my numbers:

CYA 70
FA 45 (just put in a couple gallons for this evening)
PH 80
TA ? Turned blue at 7 drops though yellow at 130

Should I be concerned with the PH during SLAM? Why would TA turn blue then yellow rather than red?

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot CC = 0

No. Ignore pH when FC is over 10. It will read falsely high.

Your TA test will go to yellow at high FC, so that is a pretty accurate read.

That FC is mighty high. Are you just dumping chlorine or are you calculating your dosages? You should be targeting 28 for your FC.

Just read the TA portion in Pool School, was relieved to see yellow is acceptable. Thanks for your response as well!

Up to today my CYA was 80 so I've been targeting 31. During the evenings I've been losing 2.5 ppm each hour. About 30 min after adding enough 10% chlorine to last the night I decided to check the CYA and it came out 70. I'm going off 70 until the next test. I think it dropped as I have been backwashing quite a bit and added water today as well.

Not sure but I fell like I'm getting the hang of this... Not to jinx myself hopefully.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.