When to backwash?

Backwash when your filter pressure raises 5 or 6psi from the clean pressure. If you have a sight glass, backwash until the water runs clear. If not, at least a minute, maybe 3 or 4 depending on how dirty the water is. I backwash for 3 or 4 minutes whenever we have a heavy rain just to take advantage of the free water to thoroughly clean the sand.

Always rinse after backwashing.

waste said:
I like that idea John :goodjob: If Ma Nature gives you the water, why not backwash instead of 'wasting' it :lol:

With the TA of my fill water being between 450 and 500ppm, I don't backwash unless I have to if I'm going to have to replace it from the hose.

I think there is an article in pool school on this and the way I understand it (I 've been doing it wrong all these years) is to backwash for a minute or so the rinse for 20 - 30 seconds then go back thru the backwash cycle again and rinse until your water is clear from the backwash. This could take ten minutes or longer depending on how dirty your filter is. Most manufacturers recommend backwashing when your filter when the pressure raises about 8 psi above the clean filter pressure.

Only backwash when you have to and take steps to avoid putting organic materials into a filter that lead to the requirement for backwashing. Each time you backwash, you lose some of your sand. Is it a lot? Probably not but over time, it adds up. I have spoken with people who made it a habit to BW twice a day and then wondered why the sand needed to be replaced so soon. Use a skimmer sock, a leaf rake or vacuume with a leaf canister inline, etc to avoid getting more stuff in there than you have to. Our PR Jr does a nice job of removing a lot of the gunk that would end up in my filter.

BTW, I do follow the Mother Nature rule above about using that free water to do a BW if needed. Seems like there isn't ever a shortage of rain events that leave us with too much water.

IMO, heavy rains are a gift to pool owners for the free backwash water they provide.

Yes, rinsing is a required part of backwashing. The backwash cycle forces water through the sand in the opposite direction from the filter flow. It stirs it up to dislodge the debris. The rinse cycle packs the sand back down.

I use a white plastic pitcher to catch some of the backwash water. When there's no more debris in it, no little floaters, I change to rinse. ALWAYS turn off your pump when changing a setting! I rinse for 30 seconds. If I have a lot of water available I run a second backwash/rinse cycle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.