Frustrating Vacuum

Jul 3, 2016
Lakeside
I have a Hayward Navigator Pro but am having a heck of time getting it work reliably. If I move the valve to provide more suction on the vacuum line then the pump suffers. If I turn up the Intelliflo pump speed up to compensate then its not running efficiently. Just when I think I have it figured out I'll check out back and just see that vaccumm sitting there ! Any suggestions/ideas on how to find the best balance between pump speed, valve adjustment and vacuum run time. Pool is around 25K gallons ...

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

You'll need to set the valve and increase the pump speed to whatever level is needed for the vacuum to perform. It's normal for your pump to require more energy (higher RPM) when the cleaner is attached and doing it's job.

Thanks .. it seems like I have to run that pump way too high to get the vacuum to move. If I lower the pump speed and adjust the valve then the skimmer sufffers and the later lever drops in the pump basket but doesnt lose prime. So... What is the better option. run the pump harder or adjust the valve so I am getting more suction from the vacuum line ?

With a variable speed pump, I would leave the flow adjustment valve set to maximum flow, or remove it, and then find the best pump speed. Then when you use the vacuum, always use that same pump speed. If you're plugging it into the skimmer, it's common for the skimmer not to skim as well when the vacuum is connected. When you're done vacuuming, removed the vacuum and skimming will go back to normal.

When you get a chance, please enter your pool information as a signature. Click the link in my signature for instructions in: Read before posting. This will help you get the best advice possible from TFP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.