Changing Testing Time?

Sep 8, 2015
Union, NJ
Hi Everyone,
I've been using the TFP method for about a month+ and so far so good. I've been testing and adding my bleach at just about the same time every morning. We are currently in a heat wave and my pool has direct sun all day. I'm thinking about the rest of the summer as I seem to loose about 2-2.5ppm of FC everyday. I'm wondering if it would be better to test and add chemicals later in the day? My pump goes off at 6pm so my question is, if I test and add around 430-5pm is the hour or so enough to circulate the bleach and would it be ok sitting without the pump running from 6pm to 8:30am? Thanks in advance.

I usually test every evening at about sundown. Running the pump for 30 minutes after adding chlorine is sufficient, especially if you are adding slowly as recommended and perhaps even brushing the pool below the return you added in front of.

Here is a logical reason to test and dose later in the day. If you test in the morning, you raise your FC in the morning, then at the end of the day your FC is at it's lowest over night. If you dose in the evening, your FC is at its highest overnight. At night, your sun is not losing FC to UV from the sun. So if you were to test your FC every hour of the day, instead of your FC being constantly low all night, it would be high all night. Without changing any dosing amounts, your average daily FC increases. You also have the rationale that if the FC is bumped up at night, any organics that were introduced during the day are free to be attacked by your highest chlorine levels without being lost to the sun, all night long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.