Filling New Inground...HELP?!

reallytiredteacher

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2009
Southern Missouri
We're in mid-construction of our IG pool. I'm so new at Chlorine...I used Baquacil in my AG a couple of years ago and loved it, but then had horid, unexplained algae probs at the end of the season. I am excited to find this site and it's quickly becoming my new BFF. I joined as Lifelong Member...Yay! :lol:

Can someone give me an idea of what I should buy (chlorine, i'll prob use cheap WalMart bleach by the gallon, baking soda, borax???) and have on hand when this pool gets filled and how much of each thing I could possibly need? We will be filling the pool with city water, just over 22,000 gallons. I have ordered the TF test kit. I don't mind to over-buy as long as we will be able to use it later in the season.

Re: Filling New Above Ground...HELP?!

Welcome to TFP.

Until you can test the water, chlorine, either 10-12% liquid shock or bleach, and CYA are the key things to have on hand. You know you'll need both, and getting them in the water right away will make things easier for you.

As soon as you get your test kit, test your tap water to get an idea of the pH, Calcium Hardness and Total Alkalinity. Those will drive whether you need baking soda, muriatic acid or calcium (depending on your pool surface). As a matter of fact, if your pool builder has a store, take a sample in to find out where you stand.

If you test your fill water, you get get a better idea of what you are going to need. I like to have small quantities of just about everything around just in case. What you are going to need large quantities of depends on your fill water numbers.

Thanks for the idea of testing my tap water...duh! I'm sure that's not the last dumb question I'll ask. I'm hoping to get better at posting as time passes, I titled this one "Filling Above Ground..." and it's INGROUND!!! LOL
You guys are great and this site is the best thing I could have stumbled on!!!

Thanks!

reallytiredteacher said:
"Filling Above Ground..." and it's INGROUND!!! LOL

Thanks!

Fixed the title for you :-D

Do we get to see pics! We love pics! Lot's of pics! We want some pics!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

OH! OH! Welcome! 8)

Rtt,
Thank you!

Truly, it's a combination of enthusiastic newbies (like you) as well as the experts that make this site great.

Virtually everyone who posts on your thread is eager to share with you what they know and to let you know how simple (and inexpensive) pool care maintenence can be. It's incredibly rewarding to get positive feedback from folks who have learned to take control of their pool.

We're doing most of the work on the inground ourselves....so the process is slower for us. We're learning as we go. I promise pics as soon as possible.

I'm Super Excited about liquid chlorine and also about knowing any questions/problems will be addressed quickly by people who know what they're doing and not just trying to sell me pool chemicals. I called all around and can't find anyone within an hour and a half driving distance that sells the more concentrated lqd chlorine. My husband manages the local WalMart, so he won't mind the extra increase in bleach sales!

Anybody wanna buy my extra Baquacil ??? Guess I'll list it on eBay! :goodjob:

I do not want your GOO! :shock: Sell it to some otha foo! :mrgreen:

So you are a DIY'er! I'm gonna be a DIY'er in a couple years! I have an 18'x40' planned for my future back yard oasis!

Can't wait to see pics!

You can NOT go wrong with BBB. It's so simple! 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.