Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling New Inground...HELP?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling New Inground...HELP?!

We're in mid-construction of our IG pool. I'm so new at Chlorine...I used Baquacil in my AG a couple of years ago and loved it, but then had horid, unexplained algae probs at the end of the season. I am excited to find this site and it's quickly becoming my new BFF. I joined as Lifelong Member...Yay!

Can someone give me an idea of what I should buy (chlorine, i'll prob use cheap WalMart bleach by the gallon, baking soda, borax???) and have on hand when this pool gets filled and how much of each thing I could possibly need? We will be filling the pool with city water, just over 22,000 gallons. I have ordered the TF test kit. I don't mind to over-buy as long as we will be able to use it later in the season.
    22K gal IG Vinyl 18'x36' rectangle (Hydra Pool Kit, Homebuilt DIY Spring09) 8' deep end
    Aqua Genie (No Main Drain, No Separate Returns), Hayward 1.5hp Pump, 24" sand filter & 2" Pipes, Jandy WaterColors LED Light, Flyte DeckII/FibreDive Board

:sun: Added for 2010~ SWG CompuPool CPSC36, "The Pool Cleaner 2x" suction cleaner, PICS of our DIY build, and our DIY Lime Green SLIDE refinishing project!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling New Above Ground...HELP?!

Welcome to TFP.

Until you can test the water, chlorine, either 10-12% liquid shock or bleach, and CYA are the key things to have on hand. You know you'll need both, and getting them in the water right away will make things easier for you.

As soon as you get your test kit, test your tap water to get an idea of the pH, Calcium Hardness and Total Alkalinity. Those will drive whether you need baking soda, muriatic acid or calcium (depending on your pool surface). As a matter of fact, if your pool builder has a store, take a sample in to find out where you stand.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

If you test your fill water, you get get a better idea of what you are going to need. I like to have small quantities of just about everything around just in case. What you are going to need large quantities of depends on your fill water numbers.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the idea of testing my tap water...duh! I'm sure that's not the last dumb question I'll ask. I'm hoping to get better at posting as time passes, I titled this one "Filling Above Ground..." and it's INGROUND!!! LOL
    You guys are great and this site is the best thing I could have stumbled on!!!

Thanks!
    22K gal IG Vinyl 18'x36' rectangle (Hydra Pool Kit, Homebuilt DIY Spring09) 8' deep end
    Aqua Genie (No Main Drain, No Separate Returns), Hayward 1.5hp Pump, 24" sand filter & 2" Pipes, Jandy WaterColors LED Light, Flyte DeckII/FibreDive Board

:sun: Added for 2010~ SWG CompuPool CPSC36, "The Pool Cleaner 2x" suction cleaner, PICS of our DIY build, and our DIY Lime Green SLIDE refinishing project!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by reallytiredteacher
    "Filling Above Ground..." and it's INGROUND!!! LOL

Thanks!
    Fixed the title for you
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Filling New Inground...HELP?!

Welcome!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Do we get to see pics! We love pics! Lot's of pics! We want some pics!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH! OH! Welcome! 8)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Rtt,
    Thank you!

Truly, it's a combination of enthusiastic newbies (like you) as well as the experts that make this site great.

Virtually everyone who posts on your thread is eager to share with you what they know and to let you know how simple (and inexpensive) pool care maintenence can be. It's incredibly rewarding to get positive feedback from folks who have learned to take control of their pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

We're doing most of the work on the inground ourselves....so the process is slower for us. We're learning as we go. I promise pics as soon as possible.

I'm Super Excited about liquid chlorine and also about knowing any questions/problems will be addressed quickly by people who know what they're doing and not just trying to sell me pool chemicals. I called all around and can't find anyone within an hour and a half driving distance that sells the more concentrated lqd chlorine. My husband manages the local WalMart, so he won't mind the extra increase in bleach sales!

Anybody wanna buy my extra Baquacil ??? Guess I'll list it on eBay!

10. Back To Top    #10

I do not want your GOO! Sell it to some otha foo!

So you are a DIY'er! I'm gonna be a DIY'er in a couple years! I have an 18'x40' planned for my future back yard oasis!

Can't wait to see pics!

You can NOT go wrong with BBB. It's so simple! 8)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter