High levels of chlorine

Jul 7, 2016
Istanbul
Chlorine smell increased a lot and I decided to check Chlorine levels with a 2 way tester. My neighbour has been taking care of the pool.

Pool dimensions are 32 x 18 x 6 feet.

My neihbour has been pouring 1 lb of chlorine every day.

According to test kit, chlorine color should be yellow and a value of 1.0 to 1.5 is regarded as "ideal". In my tests Chlorine color turned into RED. Stopped pouring chlorine for 6 days and tester color turned into dark yellow (was red 6 days ago). Still not at the desired level.

At the end of 6 days PH value is 7.0 to 7.2

I think my neighbour overuses chlorine. It was smelling a lot of chlorine, even the swimming suits smell.

1) how often should I pour chlorine? Is there a shedule or do I monitor chlorine level and pour accordingly?

2) which test kit is a good kit?

Cheers

What you are smelling is not chlorine---it is chloramines---------the byproduct of things being killed and disinfected, but not fully burned off. This is called CC---combined chloramines. BAD stuff. I recommend you get one of the TF100 test kits and follow our SLAM procedure. See the chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School. Welcome.

Welcome to TFP!

Are you in Istanbul Turkey? If so, try to find a Taylor K-2006 test kit. Or another drop based test kit that has the following tests.

FC - Free Chlorine, need FAS/DPD chlorine test
CC - Combined Chlorine
pH
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.