10% pool bleach at Wal-Mart - Was it worth it?

jwhop3

Jun 9, 2014
Rocky Mount/Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
So, normally I get the concentrated WM brand of bleach that is rated at 8.25%. Our WalMarts recently started carrying 10% bleach in the pool section. Normally I'm dubious of the supplies in the pool section, knowing they are marked up to the unwary shopper. The bottle was $ 3.64 compared to $2.57. So, I did the math.

The 8.25% comes in 121 oz at $2.57 a bottle. 121 x .0825 = 9.99 oz available chlorine. $2.57 / 9.99oz = 26 cents per oz.

The 10% comes in 128 oz, so 128 x .10 = 12.80 oz of available chlorine. $3.64 / 12.80 oz = 29 cents per oz.

So today, the 8.25 bottle wins out, but that price was a rollback, it has been going for $2.98, which ups your unit price to 30 cents.

The difference is pretty negligible, so it's a matter of preference. Do you want to save a couple cents per bottle, or use less product and a few less bottles in your supply closet? I went with 4 bottles of 10%. Of course, this all presumes the label is accurate, both the strength of the bleach, and the amount in the bottle.

Caveat emptor!

Just purchased 15 gallons at WalMart a few nights ago for $2.50 a bottle. They had the stuff on a skid, I'm wondering if they're trying to clear inventory for the end of the season, which is crazy because summer officially started a few weeks ago..

Just purchased 15 gallons at WalMart a few nights ago for $2.50 a bottle. They had the stuff on a skid, I'm wondering if they're trying to clear inventory for the end of the season, which is crazy because summer officially started a few weeks ago..

Mine me in New Hartford NY just replenished stock.
Only 7 days old according to Julian date code

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool Chlorinating liquid has been $2.50 per gallon at the local wal-mart since the day it hit the shelves.

I went there to get bleach, already had it in my cart and seen the chlorinating liquid as I walked past the pool stuff heading to the garden center. I noticed it right off because it hadn't been there before, read the label and saw it was 10% so I loaded up several gallons and headed back to the laundry aisle to unload the bleach. The Great Value concentrated 8.25% bleach was and still is priced at $3.94 per gallon.

Definitely have to go in person, the online store has continually shown that my store is out of stock. I was just there and the shelves were full.

Wow, dssmith99. Even Kroger's doesn't charge $3.94 for 8.25%!! That's a ripoff. I wonder if they don't have a pricing error in their computer and have the bottles crossed.

Well, spoke too soon. Just stopped at Wal-mart to get some oil and the chlorinating liquid has gone up to $3.64 now, they were restocking the shelves with cases of the stuff. Online site yet again shows "not in stock" but also still shows $2.50 per gallon. Online store has bleach at $3.09 for 121oz, didn't walk all the way back there to look. Still seemed plenty high priced to me. Got about 20 gallons of 10 and 12.5 so using 2 gallon a week I'm probably good to mid Sept.

How do you know how much liquid bleach to add?

PoolMath link at the top of the page will do all the calculations for you just put your pool volume in and current readings and target. From there you can do as many have and just make yourself a chart specific to your pool for each type of chemical. Some thing like X oz of chlorine increases FC by 0.5ppm X oz of MA decreases pH by 0.1 and so on.

I saw this 10% at WM and bought it. That is what I started the summer on. Once we started swimming the family was saying that their skin felt dry. I checked PH, chlorine, and TA levels and all where right in line. The bleach source was the only thing different. I used up what I had and went back to the usual 8.25 that we have been using. All complaints went away. Doesn't seem like it should have made a difference - I am staying with the 8.25%. The water looks great and everyone is happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.