Second MA Shock of Season

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'm trying this again after last month's didn't take. Last time, I was gone for a few hours and the FC dropped quite a bit while I was away, so this time, I'm staying home and checking FC once an hour. I did a regular SLAM last night, water was clear (has been the whole time), CC is 0 (also has been the whole time), and passed OCLT this morning. Brushed the whole pool yesterday and again this morning. PoolMath says my MA shock level is 19 ppm. I put in enough bleach to get there this morning, checked FC an hour later and hadn't dropped at all. Checked it again an hour later and FC had dropped to 13 ppm (pool was in almost full sun by that time). Added more bleach to get back up to 19 and am about to check it again to see how it's holding.

I'm wondering if I need to aim higher than 19 to give it room to drop if I'm losing 6 ppm in just an hour.

Sure. TF-100 results are as follows:

FC 21 (checked just after my first post)
CYA 20 (was a bit closer to 20 than 30. Last time I checked, it was 30, so that's what I was using in PoolMath)
TA 90
CH 500
CC 0
pH 7.5 (checked last night before starting regular SLAM)

Yes, we've had it on the walls in the areas that are in shade for even just a portion of the day. I can't post a photo because I've already brushed everything. I thought I had gotten rid of it last month, but it showed up again. We brushed everything that time, too, including inside the light niches, so the only thing that I figured I had done wrong was letting the FC level drop below MA shock level for a few hours while I was away.

Should I try to keep FC higher than my MA shock level during this SLAM?

I've also read somewhere that keeping FC above target level but lower than SLAM level on a regular basis can help keep MA from getting established. Is this true?

All I know is mustard is a pain and more resilient than the other algae types so I'm going to run it right under the MA level on the chart (I have a SWG so I can go a smidge lower than a manually dosed pool). So for my CYA 70 I'm shooting for 9-10.

I'm still in the middle of the MA shock, continuing to check FC each hour. I'm finding that I'm losing between 1 and 3 ppm each hour, and I continue to add bleach as needed to get it back up to 19. I'm still wondering if I need to aim higher than 19 with each addition of bleach in order to give it room to drop a couple of ppm and still maintain MA shock level, or is that just wasting bleach at that point?

When you are doing a mustard algae shock go ahead and throw all the pool nets, vacuums, brushes, toys, floats, hoses, anything that has regular contact with the pool water in there and let them soak at MA levels overnight. Hose them down when you take them out and let them air dry. Wash and dry swimsuits

Bleach drops exponentially and not linearly. Higher FC levels will see a larger drop over the course of the day. The best thing is to bump to MA levels before you leave and bump it again as soon as you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, that's what I've been doing today, so it sounds like I'm on the right track. I washed swimsuits, but they have to be dried in the dryer? I usually hang them up in the house to air dry, so if I need to dry them in the dryer, please confirm.

My daughter has a Puddle Jumper, which is a fabric-covered floatation device similar to a life vest. Can I wipe this down with Clorox Cleanup spray? It will only float in the water front-side up, so I can't soak all surfaces of it in the shocked pool water. I have my net and brushes soaking already.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.