Can't keep chloring in pool

May 6, 2016
Salisbury , nc
Ok a little back story. We just bought out house so this is the first year we have opened the pool. It is an in ground vinyl pool. 19700 gallons. We switched it from baquacil to chlorine when we opened. We were using a pool store and their advice and chemicals. Well they are no help. We can't seem to keep chlorine in the pool. It will hold over night and barely drop but as soon as the sun comes up and hits the pool, it is gone. We tried using the skimmer sticks they provided and it didnt work. then we found TFP so we have been using liquid chlorine. It has worked the best out of anything but we are spending a ton on chlorine just so we can swim a couple hours before its gone again. I have the recommended test on the way but it wont be here until Monday. I'm hoping that some of the smart cookies in here will have some advice on what might be going on. Here's the numbers the pool store gave me today.

FC .01
TC .13
CC .12
PH 7.5
TA adjusted 157
CH 304
CYA 69
SI .5

please help as we are at a loss of what is wrong!

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. In my case two different pool stores told me my CYA was "fine", around 70 or 80. When I tested myself I found it over 200.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

My gut feeling is that you still have lots of baqua remnants in the pool. Have you read - Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

All you can do is pour 1/2 bottle of bleach in a day (with the pump running) and wait on your kit. Post what you come up with Monday and we can start from there. :)

It would be good to read lots of articles in pool school while you wait too.

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. In my case two different pool stores told me my CYA was "fine", around 70 or 80. When I tested myself I found it over 200.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

My gut feeling is that you still have lots of baqua remnants in the pool. Have you read - Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Thanks. My kit will be arriving Monday we were just hoping to get something going this weekend. I have read alot of the articles and have gained alot of info on it. This just has us stumped. We have put so much shock and chlorine in the pool I would hope there is no more baqua in it but you never know. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

All you can do is pour 1/2 bottle of bleach in a day (with the pump running) and wait on your kit. Post what you come up with Monday and we can start from there. :)

It would be good to read lots of articles in pool school while you wait too.

Thanks. I'll go read some more and hope my kit gets here soon!

Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Give us a step by step rundown of how they had you eliminate the baqua.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.