CYA and Borate Tester needed in Canada

May 26, 2009
Oshawa, Ont
Where can i find these?
I have an 18ft x 4ft AG and this year I have switched over to saltwater.
I have the test strips for hardness, ph, alk, fc, and bromine.
But I still need a CYA and Borate Tester.
I have went to Cdn Tire, Walmart and called 2 pool supply stores with no success.
I will also need CYA Stabalizers.

Also, can I still use my OTO Chlorine droplet testing kit to test my Chlorine?

http://piscines-apollo.com/english_taylor.htm

They sell the LaMotte borate test strips. You also need a Taylor K-2006 (NOT the K-2005 or ANY of the other Taylor kits, the K-2006 is the only kit that tests chlorine using the FAS-DPD method, which is the one you want!) and a Taylor K-1766 for testing salt if you are unable to find the Aquachek Sat strips (check online for those. A lot of online venders sell them!). The test strips are useless (except for the borate and salt ones!) and OTO is only going to test TC, not FC anc CC! Get the right kits and your pool maintenance will be much easier. Also, I recommend the magnetic stirrer that Apollo sells.
portable-magnetic-stirrer-from-apollo-pools-t1489.html

Unfortunately , Taylor's Canadian distributor has an exclusivity contract with Taylor so you will not be able to get a Taylor kit from a US vendor and are stuck with the Canadian pricing. I can recommend Apollo Pools as a Taylor dealer. Paul knows his stuff, is one of our members, and I have personally done business with him on more than one occasion.
I know it's a lot of money to spend on testing supplies but it WILL save you a lot of money, time, and headaches in the long run! It's going to be one of the best investments you will make into your pool.

DOH - I already found the site and ordered the k-1721 and borate strips (I alrdy have salt strips) before I read your post.
I didn't know that the other stips were useless.
Should I order the K-1004 to even out my order?
Is there a difference between DPD for the K-1004 and FAS-DPD in the more expensive k-2006 kit?

ronatola said:
DOH - I already found the site and ordered the k-1721 and borate strips (I alrdy have salt strips) before I read your post.
I didn't know that the other stips were useless.
Should I order the K-1004 to even out my order?
Is there a difference between DPD for the K-1004 and FAS-DPD in the more expensive k-2006 kit?

The difference is everything! You absolutely want the FAS-DPD test. Worth every penny.

ronatola said:
I might be able to edit my order if I act quickly.
So you would recommend cancelling the k-1721 order and replacing it with the k-2006?

and might i mention again, that I have a saltwater pool, in case that make a difference.

EDIT: I found a good explanation here...
http://www.allbusiness.com/arts-ent.ert ... 397-1.html
The K-1721 is just a test for CYA and nothing else. The K-2006 is a full test kit that tests FC, CC, pH (with acid and base demand), TA, CH, and CYA. You do not want the K-1004! which uses the DPD test and is a scaled down version of the K-2005 DPD kit. Once again you want the K-2006.

If you want to add anything to the K-2006 you might want to pick up a K-1000 oto/pH tester for quick daily checks of TC and pH. It's useful to have and the Taylor OTO test is far superior to every other OTO test kit I have ever seen (It's the superior comparator that comes with it!)

OK - I am cancelling the k-1721 and replacing it with the k-2006.

what about the
Insta-TEST Borate Test Strips by LaMotte
Should I get those as well?

also I'm going to order re-fills to save on shipping in the future.
Should I get the titrant, R-0871 (I think that's the one
you use drop by drop) and/or the DPD powder (R-0870)?

Get the borate strips, get more CYA reagent (4 0z is a good size), and possibly more calcium titrant if you know your CH is high but unless you know you are going to go through a lot of DPD and titrant wait since those two reagents don't have the longest shelf life. One more small bottle of titrant might be ok. (If you have a vacuum sealer you can order them, seal the containes in a bag, and keep then in the fridge as an alternative but make sure they stay vacuum sealed since air, moisture, and heat is what destroys them.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.