Pool light was disconnected during remodel - do I need a whole new light?

Jul 7, 2016
CA
Hi!

During my remodel, the contractor cut the pipe holding the wires for my pool light. Talking to my pool guy, he recommended replacing the whole light. Is this needed?

I can't see the wires anymore in the light, but I'm thinking I can cut back this piece of...brass(?) to find them, then connect this rod to PVC? I've already brought in 3/4" conduit with 3 wires to the area.

Here's a view of it.

Image 2016-07-06 at 10.55.12 PM.jpg

Is this something I can do myself?

Thanks!

Ok I'm lost. I really don't understand what I'm looking at.

More importantly, underwater pool lights are supplied not by three wires in conduit but by a cord permanently attached to the light fixture. The cord terminates at a junction box were it connects to normal wiring. I suspect the PB cut the cord which means you need a new fixture and cord. Probably new junction box too.

If you want to do this yourself give us some more pictures and describe how the light is controlled

Hi gwegan,

Thanks for the reply!

More importantly, underwater pool lights are supplied not by three wires in conduit but by a cord permanently attached to the light fixture. The cord terminates at a junction box were it connects to normal wiring. I suspect the PB cut the cord which means you need a new fixture and cord. Probably new junction box too.

I'll try to supply better images later, but basically, that piece of red brass connects goes under that concrete and connects directly to the niche. The old wiring used to go straight to the junction box, but was cut during the remodel.

I guess I'm asking if we can recreate the junction box and couple the new wiring with the old wiring instead of having to replace the whole shebang.

Thanks again!

If the original fixture and cord is intact then yes. That means no splices from the cord to the junction box. It means using a approved pool junction box, or the original if its the correct kind and in good shape.

You really need to get rid of the copper conduit if you can. New conduit should be NM (non metallic pvc you can buy it at Home Depot. I should be a minimum of 3/4", 1" is better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.