Good info on replacing our skimmers would be invaluable

Jun 27, 2016
Lake Placid
We have resigned ourselves to knowing that we will have to replace our own skimmers in our pool. We’ve not been able to get anyone to come up and give us an estimate for replacing both of our very old skimmers, which we believe to be aluminum. They are some kind of deteriorating metal at any rate. The one blind estimate we received was $5000 minimum, with no guarantee for the work.

We do have a local contractor who is good at masonry and a great reputation for diligent work who is willing to help me. We know that we will have to rent a concrete chainsaw and a jackhammer. What we have not been able to do is find skimmers that will match up to our existing pool.

The poolside entrance is 15” x 6”. Where we think we will make the chainsaw cut is two inches off the wall of the pool. The throat at that point is about 9.25” x 6”. We cannot find a skimmer that may match up to those dimensions from any of the online pool centers. The pool is gunite, and fortunately, the area around the skimmers is filled with sand.

Until we can get the skimmers replaced, we cannot start laying the pavers we bought two years ago to surround the pool. I redid the plumbing last year, so the old skimmers are now not connected, and I have a lot of ‘play’ on what type of connection the new install will require.

Any advice on where to get skimmers that will match up, or how to match up mis-matched skimmers, and how to properly install the new skimmers would be very beneficial to us.

Attachments

• DSC07823.jpg
    DSC07823.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC07822.jpg
    DSC07822.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC07821.jpg
    DSC07821.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 123
Thanks. I tried INYOPools, and they were not able to find any skimmers that matched up. He also said that since he could not search for skimmers by size, he'd have to pull up every one and look at the specs. I got the feeling he wasn't that interested in that endeavor. I'll try Sunplay today.

Hi Topo,

I'm sorry that we were not able to get you the information on the skimmer when you contacted us. I would love to try and help you out, would it be possible for you to post a few photos to this thread with a meauring tape in the photo showing some of the key measurements. I know you have supplied some of these measurements earlier in this post but it is always very helpful if we can get a few photos with the tape measure. Also are the measurements of 15” x 6” the inside measurement of the opening or the outside measurement of the face plate? One more question does the face plate of your skimmer have screws all the way around the face plate? I'm showing a few skimmers that measure roughly 15" x 6" on the inside of the opening but all of these are classified as Vinyl Liner or Fiberglass skimmers and we have not been able to find a gunite skimmer that has these measurements. I'm not sure if there are any issues with using a vinyl liner or fiberglass pool skimmer on a gunite pool, if your current skimmer has the screws on the face plate then this would be classified as a vinyl liner or fiberglass pool skimmer and it seems as that would not be an issue on your pool.

I will wait to hear back from you and hopefully we can get this figured out for you.

Thank You
Patrick
www.inyopools.com

topofgothics's Library | Photobucket

Here are a few photos from the poolside opening. We are looking to cut the concrete about two inches from the pool wall. it looks like the metal and concrete meet there. Does anyone know typically how far the metal extends? Any information on what type of pool/skimmer this is would be great. Any advice on how to replace the skimmer without damaging the pool would be awesome.

Hi Topo,

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you, after looking into this for a bit this is my suggestion. I would keep your current 15" x 6" opening at the pool wall and tear out the old skimmer. Then you would set the new skimmer to have the face of the skimmer meet your 9.25" x 6" opening, you would want to mortar the skimmer at this point. The skimmer that most closely matches your opening would be the Sta-Rite U-3 Skimmer

Below I have posted the area of your skimmer opening that the face of the U3 skimmer mates up with

skimmer-tfp.jpg

And Below are the dimensions of the Sta-Rite U3 Skimmer

skimmeru3.jpg
u3 skimmer 2.jpg

I hope this helps.

Thank You
Patrick
Swimming Pool Supplies, Pool Safety Cover, Swimming Pool Covers, Swimming Pool Pumps, Pool Pump Parts - INYOPools.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.