So thankful to have found you!

May 25, 2009
Before finding this site I was feeling so overwhelmed I was getting sick to my stomach over having made the "mistake" of buying an AG pool.
We had already bought an above ground pool from a local dealer before I discovered you guys and spent 2 days reading up and totally ignoring all around me. So, although it is too late to take care of all the tips and tricks that would have been helpful during the purchase, (and saved us a ton of money) I can now peruse the site and learn from you all and hopefully not make too many more beginners mistakes. (At least we decided against the frog system, though!)
We are going to use the BBB method- you from the forum have convinced me that this is the way to go (my husband remains skeptical). The TF100 kit has been ordered and should be on the way.
We are leveling the site tomorrow afternoon with the help of a transit and friends bobcat and plan to set up the pool by this weekend if all goes well with the levelling.
Although I have read and reread pool school and many of the posts, I am still unsure as to what chemicals I should have on hand for when we first fill the pool- plan on using the garden hose so it will probably take a while for the pool to be filled.
Definetely stopping by Aldi's for some bleach. And Lowe's for the muriatic stuff? Should I have baking soda on hand? Any other ones that I should definetely have?

Thank you so much,
Claudia

Welcome to TFP!

The chemicals you need to have on hand depend totally on your fill water. As your testkit has not arrived, you could take a sample of your fill water to the pool store and get them to test it for you.

Post those results and then we can help you know what to stock up on.

dave

lovingHDTV said:
Welcome to TFP!

The chemicals you need to have on hand depend totally on your fill water. As your testkit has not arrived, you could take a sample of your fill water to the pool store and get them to test it for you.

Post those results and then we can help you know what to stock up on.

dave

What Dave said. :goodjob:

numbers

Threads merged for consistency.

Okay, since I want to do things right, I did what Dave and frustratedpoolmom suggested and went to the local pool store for the numbers. I let the garden hose run for a minute and then just filled up a clean glass, hope that was the right way to do it. The total pool volume will be 13,600 when it is filled. We are not expecting to start filling with water until this weekend at the earliest- since we are setting up the pool ourselves, it could take a while longer than anticipated. :eek:

free available chlorine 0
total chlorine 0.7
combine chlorine 0.7
total alkalinity 15
total alkalinity (adjusted) 15
ph level 7.5
calcium hardness 33
cyanuric acid 8
copper 0
iron 0
total dissolved solids 500
saturation index -1.81

I have ordered the test kit throught the link on this website (didn't specify how long it would take to get here). I would just like to be prepared and more or less have the things here that I will need, besides the bleach of which I already have several bottles stored in a cool, dry place.
I would be greatful for some suggestions on what I should stock up on .
Thank you,
Claudia

Cyanuric Acid in tap water? That's a first for me. I wonder if their testing machine is not calibrated properly. Did you happen to notice what system they were testing with? Just curious.

Okay if those numbers are good, then you'll need Baking Soda and Bleach/Liquid Chlorine.

Your PH is good, your CH is fine since you have an AG pool.

Go to the Pool Calculator. (See the link in my sig).

In the size box you put your gallons. Then in the "now" column you put these results. In the target column - you put your goal/target. (Use the "Recommended Levels" article in Pool School for your reference). Hit calculate. It will tell you how much Baking Soda and Bleach you'll need.

You will also need Cyanuric Acid. Wal-marts do sell it but they may be out right now because everyone is opening now. So you may have to go back to the pool store for that. You want a target of 50 for your pool because you have a sand filter, and backwashing will lower the number over the season.

If you move your cursor over the recommended chemical dose, it converts the total ounces into "jugs" or "lbs" and "boxes" - look in the rectangle next to the size of your pool.

Play with the Pool Calculator a bit until you are comfortable with it, if you still aren't sure let us know and we'll confirm if you have the right totals.

In the meantime while you wait for your kit, and the pool is filled, after the filter is up and running - hopefully you'll have your kit by then. It would be a good idea to test it again after its full and then use the updated test results to calculate your dosages.

Hope this helps. :goodjob:

Sorry, for posting in the wrong place- I am still trying to find my way around. I just realized that the pool calculator gives me exact numbers of how much and what to add. Can I blindly follow this or should I add half the suggested chemicals and then retest before adding the rest? I feel like I have spent so much time on here reading and trying to understand, yet I still feel totally helpless and clueless. Thank you for your patience with me.

Claudia

Claudia,

CYA and baking soda are two items that you need to add about 1/2 to 2/3 as much as the pool calc suggests, and then retest and add a little more if necessary ( I would add CH increaser to that list, but you really don't need CH in a vinyl lined pool), reason being that CYA,TA, and CH are a pain to try to lower if you get them too high. Bleach (for FC), borax and muriatic acid (for pH) are more forgiving, so you can add what the calc says to add for them.

CYA can take up to a week to dissolve, so bear that in mind when you go to retest your CYA level.

I would urge you to get some safety goggles too. None of these chemicals are going to be very fun if they end up in your eye. Oh..and find a shirt you don't mind ruining either, because no matter how careful you are, eventually you'll get some bleach or MA on it. Don't ask me how I know this... :oops:

bluebeginner said:
Sorry, for posting in the wrong place- I am still trying to find my way around. I just realized that the pool calculator gives me exact numbers of how much and what to add. Can I blindly follow this or should I add half the suggested chemicals and then retest before adding the rest? I feel like I have spent so much time on here reading and trying to understand, yet I still feel totally helpless and clueless. Thank you for your patience with me.

Claudia

No worries. We were all noobs at one point. I know how overwhelming this is. How do you think I got my screenname? :mrgreen: :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA in tap water?

What is the water company using for chlorination? :)

Could it be contamination in the water system. Is this a well?

CYA can come from urea (urine contains or breaks down into uric acid) which can break down into CYA.

Those test results came from a test strip. I would simply disregard them and wait on the arrival of your own kit. You have time.

If it turns out your pool gets filled before your kit arrives, simply pour a small bottle of Clorox bleach (pump running) into your pool each evening and then test and post your results when your kit gets there.

The Clorox will prevent anything bad from happening.....put it in in the evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.