how to floc using robotic vacuum

Jul 6, 2016
Gainesville, FL
hey guys. Great forum. Just got done killing algae and pool is cloudy- I know floc is not recommended but I have a party coming up and need to clear up fast. I researched floc and it seems you need to turn filter to waste and the use vacuum to pull debris and dump it outside- however I have an Aquabot that does not hook to the circulation system. do I just let the water sit, and then put the Aquabot to work (leave the filter off)? or do I need to have a suction side vacuum to work in conjunction with filter?

I'm a less confident in the aquabot if you're using a vac-to-waste floc product -- it could just cloud up and dissipate the floc, making a mess, getting it into your filter and leaving slimy bits all over that will just reform... based on a recent experiment.

BTW, I don't generally recommend using floc either, but recently had used a floc-level volume of lanthanum chloride so I have in practice actually experienced its behavior ;)

The best way to remove floc is to vacuum to waste manually, very slowly to not redistribute/cloud it up, using the old-school manual pool vac and hose that attaches to the skimmer. If you have a party coming up, you really want to vacuum it completely to waste. Those manual hoses/heads for the skimmer are pretty cheap. In your shoes I'd pick one up.

If you used something like Leslie's Alum, which is a vac-to-waste type, I wouldn't try to short cut the removal. It really needs to go to waste, but the robot action may keep breaking it up instead.

I'm a less confident in the aquabot if you're using a vac-to-waste floc product -- it could just cloud up and dissipate the floc, making a mess, getting it into your filter and leaving slimy bits all over that will just reform... based on a recent experiment.

BTW, I don't generally recommend using floc either, but recently had used a floc-level volume of lanthanum chloride so I have in practice actually experienced its behavior ;)

The best way to remove floc is to vacuum to waste manually, very slowly to not redistribute/cloud it up, using the old-school manual pool vac and hose that attaches to the skimmer. If you have a party coming up, you really want to vacuum it completely to waste. Those manual hoses/heads for the skimmer are pretty cheap. In your shoes I'd pick one up.

If you used something like Leslie's Alum, which is a vac-to-waste type, I wouldn't try to short cut the removal. It really needs to go to waste, but the robot action may keep breaking it up instead.

that makes sense- the return water coming out of the robot at high speed would probably steer up the sediment around it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.