Drain & refill mid season, don't want to lose again

seedlings

Jul 5, 2016
Saint Joseph, MO
Yes, the green came fast and furious, and family wanted clear water now. I found out that I can drain and refill in just under 24h. Before draining, I cleaned out the filter sand with the hose. I believe the hollow ladder steps with holes in them are probably the algae headquarters. Those will now see regular attention until we decide on a replacement.

So, now I am following TFP directions, but need a little help because the test kit won't arrive for a day or two. In the meantime, all I have are test strips. So the pool was drained to about 4" deep, and I started refilling. At that time, I dumped in 1 gal of 12.5% chlorine and a sock with 1.75# of CYA (chart said 15,000 gallons need about 4# CYA to get up near 50) A couple of hours ago the pump could start again, and added 2 cups cellulose. After 20m of filtration I tested the water and the FC was at or above 10, the CYA was under 30, and the PH was 7.6-7.8, TA was OK. I only had about another pound of CYA, so I crushed that in a sock at the return jet. We swam for a bit in the freezing water (92 degrees outside though).

I just tested the water again and FC 10+ with the CYA very close to the 30-50 color, slightly fainter... perhaps 25? But need to check in the morning. Question: what else do I do tonight? She's not crystal clear since there was still some of the old green water, so probably risk of turning again?

CHAD

Hi there

Without a good test kit you are kind of flying blind but it sounds like your calculations with pool math are good. If it's still cloudy, I'd just leave my pump running and brush. Do you have an eta on a test kit? Hopefully TF-100 or Taylor k2006?

Hi there

Without a good test kit you are kind of flying blind but it sounds like your calculations with pool math are good. If it's still cloudy, I'd just leave my pump running and brush. Do you have an eta on a test kit? Hopefully TF-100 or Taylor k2006?

Taylor K2006 will be here tomorrow or the next day for sure. I double checked poolmath and 15000 gal going to CYA 40 requires 5#. I am still going to wait for a reliable test before adding more, don't you think?

CHAD

I was in the same boat prior to the test kit showing up... Try to keep your FC in the 9 area just so your PH results aren't skewed... That will also help kill off any algae issues until you are ready to slam. Be gradual with your CYA additions!! if you over shoot, youll be using more chorline everyday and if you want it to lower you have to drain and fill... target 30 so you have room for error...if you overshoot a little, target 40 and youll be golden. Once your CYA is in that range, your FC is hovering around 9, check PH... Add Muratic acid to drop your PH to 7-7.2 then start your slam

Also check your math... You say you have 24' above ground... Round? How deep? I have a 24' round 48" and it holds 13500 gal.. changes potential additions drastically

Just unwrapped the K2006, since we are literally UPS's last stop of the day. Test results:
FC 10ppm
CYA 35
CC 1ppm
PH 7.4
TA 150
CH 130

We didn't swim today (at the lake), and the water is not clear, and has little pockets of debris in the liner wrinkles. I'll sweep here in a bit. I have about 4 gallons of 12.5% chlorine on hand, but I'd like to use up the remaining HTH trichlor tabs if possible.

So, where do I go from here to get this pool trouble free?

**Signature edited
CHAD

Attachments

• 20160708_193515.jpg
    20160708_193515.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 35
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.