West Jordan, UTAH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So, as I approach the project of replacing my pool deck I'm unsure how one would go about placing pavers on top of the required bonding grid. My experience with pavers has been to set them on a sand bed, tamp then fill with polymeric sand. Is it permissible or effective to have the grid buried in the sand bed that the pavers sit on?

With concrete it's pretty straight forward as the concrete would flow into and around the grid, thus encasing it in the concrete itself. So, not a lot of questions to that.

Any other ideas for a pool deck that I might should consider as alternatives to those two options?

I've been told a grid isn't required by the code if you do pavers. Simply a loop of copper wire around and attached to the pool at several points and with several grounding rods.

I think it depends on your local building department what they require.

I tied the shell bonding wires to a loop of #10 wire one foot away from the edge of the pool around the entire perimeter of the pool on top of the of the base material before the paver were set or base sand was dumped. It was tied in to the ground going to the equipment pad. I also sunk a copper ground rod at the equipment pad and tied the "loop" to the rod as a belt and suspenders.

Extra grounds dont hurt... generally. No way would I not have something around the pool if I were you. I was not sure - so I called my AHJ and we talked about what he wanted before I got too far down the road. He asked for a loop around the pool.

Thanks for the input so far..

I definitely want a full grid and would even consider taking it the full 6' wide (width of the deck) instead of the minimum 3' because I know that I have stray voltage in the area and want the best possible mitigation in place. I'm just having a very difficult time finding a concrete contractor that will come bid on the new deck install so I now need to consider DIY methods which has brought me to the idea pf pavers. I'd hoped I could lay the grid down, then bury it in the sand bed underneath the pavers, just not sure what that would do to the functionality of the equipotential grid

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.