Green swamp

Things have been progressing, I think. Sometimes I think I see a big difference and other times it looks the same. When people drop by who haven't been checking on it every hour for a week they insist that it looks lighter. I would love some outside input. What I can report for certain is that where algae used to collect frequently on the top step of the ladder in the deep end, it is no longer doing that. The huge, gross, green bubbles that were in the skimmer basket at first haven't been there lately. However, as you can tell by the pictures, it is still very green and algae is still collecting / forming on the top step in the shallow end. Also, our water level is lower than normal due to a lack of rain for the past week. I haven't added water because I don't want to upset any progress we've made. Still very open to suggestions. Thank you!!!

You have a couple of pic choices.

Option 1
Become a TFP Supporter and get more data space and some great discounts and a cool badge and help keep TFP ad free
CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

Option 2
Create a Photobucket account
Upload pics
Copy the IMG code to the right of the pic
Paste it in your post
This will embed the pic in your thread

Marsha, after reviewing things I'm beginning to feel as though it's taking a bit too long. Something doesn't seem to be right. The pool was a cloudy blue when the pool company opened almost two weeks ago, then after what you admitted was a short lapse in pool attention and use of tabs and algaecide, the water went green fairly quickly. But that water should be showing more signs of progress by now. So here's what I would like for you to do.

Please post for us your current FC, CC, and CYA. The CYA will be very important, so please refer to the following guidance:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Those three numbers should tell us if you're on-track and give us a good indication that the SLAM is heading in the right direction.

FC=15
CC=1.5
CYA=50
This is the highest CYA reading we've had. I tested it a few times to be sure. We must have added too much chlorine the last time, taking us past our goal FC of 12. I take it as a good sign that my sample water was more clear than green. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Remember to scoop all solids from your pool and brush every time you can

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

FC=15
CC=1.5
CYA=50
This is the highest CYA reading we've had. I tested it a few times to be sure. We must have added too much chlorine the last time, taking us past our goal FC of 12. I take it as a good sign that my sample water was more clear than green. :)

If your CYA is really 50, you should target FC of 20 for slam

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Piolin is right. With a CYA of 50, a FC of 12 isn't slam level. You'll want to use pure bleach (or chlorinating liquid from walmart etc...) to get your FC up to 20. The CC of 1.5 says that your FC is working and killing stuff but you aren't at a FC level given your CYA to kill off the algae. Get your FC up to 20 and keep it there as much as you can until you 1. have clear water, 2. pass the OCLT, and 3. have your CC measure less than 0.5.

Thank you for the advice! After seeing this progress in less than 24 hours, I would say we were at a standstill before. Looking forward to seeing everything clear up completely. I'll keep you posted! We also had to order refills for testing the FC as we have almost used the 2 sets that came with our TF100 XL test kit!

It looks even less green today! Pictures didn't do it justice bexcuse of shade there at this time. It is still very cloudy though. Can't see the bottom. Should I backwash to rinse things out ebmven though I will have to add water back in? I've been worried about throwing off the phone or CYA or FC by doing that. We are out of drops after testing this morning but new ones will arrive tomorrow. Thank you all again!!!

Last edited:
You're rolling now! Continue to maintain that FC consistently. Yes, when filter pressure increases by about 25% from the clean pressure then its time to backwash. Lots of backwashes might eventually lower CYA a little, but I wouldn't worry about changing anything at this point. Once you get your resupply of reagents you can always test CYA again if you want to. Obviously though, adjusting that FC a couple days ago made a big difference. Have a nice day.

No more green!!! We are beyond excited!!! This is the most clear our water has been and we've been looking at this house since February! There is still a lot of cloudiness. From what I read on your site, I'm guessing this is the milky white stage that just has to be filtered out, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.