Invasion of the body snatchers...

I REALLY hope someone can help me with this rather disgusting issue. I seem to have these gross slimy "pods" springing up on my liner and other areas like the stairs and light fixture even the skimmers - anything that offers structure for them to grab hold of. I had some occurrences of this when we opened this year but brushed/vacc'd to waste and everything seemed fine but they are back, both in the same areas and new zones. I am leaving everything in place until an expert weighs in meanwhile I am thinking black algae but want to hold off using chemicals until I am advised of the proper treatment. Water is crystal clear and perfectly balanced. See attached photos I have more but that's enough for one viewing. These things are absolutely disgusting! I am completely at a loss...HELP!!!

Attachments

• WP_20160704_11_53_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160704_11_53_43_Pro.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 172
  • WP_20160704_11_54_40_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160704_11_54_40_Pro.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 172
  • WP_20160704_11_32_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160704_11_32_05_Pro.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 174
  • WP_20160704_11_32_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160704_11_32_38_Pro.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 174
Hon, you've got a major algae outbreak in there, no matter that you think your chemistry readings are "perfectly balanced". Perfectly balanced pools don't have algae.
We need to know how you are testing, which kit, and these results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Do you routinely brush the pool to disrupt algae and biofilm? That's an important step that should be done weekly... and yeah we all get a little slack on that....

Get us those results and we'll see what we can do :)

Welcome to TFP!!! :snorkle: I'm going to agree with Yeppee and Skippee that's some form of algae. If you could post some test results either using one of the recommended test kits (the K-2006 or the TF 100).

If you don't have a test kit we can take pool store tests to start. But don't buy anything at the pool store, you can't mix our advice with pool store advice.

Addendum... if you go to the Pool Store for testing, go ahead and ask them to test for metals too. I just noticed you have a Nature2 Duoclear SWG. Those contain metals and they can cause a lot of grief. Its good to know what you're dealing with so you can prevent problems such as staining and green hair.

If you don't have a good test kit (a pool that big should use the TF-100) you can order one from TFTestkits.net I'd suggest the TF-100 XL and a Speed Stir device.

Thanks - I just tested this morning. I have a Taylor K2007 kit. Here are the numbers:

FC - 2
TC - 2
CC - 0 in that case?
PH - 7.6
TA - 120
CH - 300
CYA - didn't do today but I was almost 0 last week and added 5 lbs CYA three or so days ago and ran filter for 2 days.

Again, the water itself is crystal clear. I have been extremely busy with work including over the weekend this past week and haven't brushed or vacuumed in maybe 10 days my bad! I can tell you that the "outbreak" absolutely reoccurred where I had previously brushed thoroughly and that after that last cleaning I used Leslie's (plain old Algae Control) algaecide at the new treatment for 20K gal rate. Didn't work so well I guess...

I should also add that I didn't replace the Duoclear cartridge this year which they want you to do as the old one had plenty of weight to it. It's a very slowly dissolving mineral cartridge that eventually becomes an empty shell. Shame on me if that's the cause of this nonsense but it seems kind of scammy that regardless of how much agent is left they want you to replace it every season. I would never get another one of these systems - straight salt system for me when this one goes.

Lastly, is the "type" of algae readily evident from the photos?

Thanks!!!

Thanks

Thanks - I just tested this morning. I have a Taylor K2007 kit. Here are the numbers:
Oh darn. The K-2007 test doesn't include the test we feel is necessary to monitor FC and CC accurately up to 50ppm- the drop based FAS-DPD test. You only have the DPD test which is not as accurate because you're sort of matching colors and is subjective. You can get the element you are missing at TFTestkits.net TFTestkits.net

FC - 2 Too low for a CYA of aprox 40ppm
TC - 2
CC - 0 in that case? People can actually have algae outbreaks without CCs. I know that's counter intuitive but it happens...
PH - 7.6
TA - 120
CH - 300
CYA - didn't do today but I was almost 0 last week and added 5 lbs CYA three or so days ago and ran filter for 2 days. My math says that should have brought you up aprox 40ppm, assuming you really didn't have any other CYA in there. The tests only measure the CYA if it is over 20-30 (depending on test). THat would mean your FC is wayyyyyy too low, instead of just way low. Please see this chart- [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Again, the water itself is crystal clear. I have been extremely busy with work including over the weekend this past week and haven't brushed or vacuumed in maybe 10 days my bad! I can tell you that the "outbreak" absolutely reoccurred where I had previously brushed thoroughly and that after that last cleaning I used Leslie's (plain old Algae Control) algaecide at the new treatment for 20K gal rate. Didn't work so well I guess...Algaecide doesn't kill algae, it can help prevent it but we rarely suggest its use as long as people maintain proper chlorination levels. Some contain copper which only add problems to pools.

I should also add that I didn't replace the Duoclear cartridge this year which they want you to do as the old one had plenty of weight to it. It's a very slowly dissolving mineral cartridge that eventually becomes an empty shell. Shame on me if that's the cause of this nonsense but it seems kind of scammy that regardless of how much agent is left they want you to replace it every season. I would never get another one of these systems - straight salt system for me when this one goes.

No, copper doesn't cause algae. It causes stains and green hair.

Lastly, is the "type" of algae readily evident from the photos? Slimey green kind....sorry! :geek:

Thanks!!!

Thanks

Have you read Pool School yet? Start here: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and then move on to: SLAM Process

Let us know what questions pop up. Those pics you took are great by the way :)

Yip :flower:

- - - Updated - - -

More homework- Pool School - Recommended Levels

There really isn't any way to do a SLAM without that FAS-DPD powder test that I mentioned earlier.

Your color matching test only goes up to 10ppm. For your CYA which we estimate to be *at least* 40ppm, which means your SLAM level of FC needs to be 16ppm. How will you know if you've reached that?

Hold off on the slam until you have the copper levels tested in your pool. That duoclear cartridge contains copper and silver ions that allegedly allow you to run at lower FC levels. If you raise your FC to slam level and there is copper in the water it will fall out of solution and stain the pool. If the test is positive for copper then you can either drain and refill the pool and chuck the duoclear cartridge or use a sequestrant to keep the copper in solution. I'm not sure if you can sequester and slam at the same time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK so this got lost in cyberworld but I actually have a K2006 kit which has the FAS/DPD test. I didn't see the copper related post sorry - I slammed the pool starting last night brought FC up to 28. I vacuumed thoroughly today and it is looking great. No issues so far regarding the copper stain concern. I DID pull the light out and there was an interesting science experiment going on in there. Brushed the heck out of the niche and fixture, everything else sat in some really hot water and bleach for a while. So far so good. I also increased CYA I am in the 65-70 range now. May increase to 80 after this is over but for now I'm concentrating on the slam aspect. Here is a current pic.WP_20160709_16_55_22_Pro.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.