CharlyBaltimore - Hey All!

CharlyBaltimore

Silver Supporter
Jul 6, 2016
Huntington, NY
Hey everyone!

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of having an inground pool installed. We've already met with 2 highly regarded pool companies, one that specializes in only gunite and another that does mostly vinyl, but also does gunite. Right now we're leaning towards vinyl mainly from a cost perspective. As much as we prefer the aesthetics of the gunite pools, we're not sure it's worth 30K plus in cost.

So hopefully I'll learn a thing or two while visiting this forum! ;)

Hey there CharlyBaltimore (shouldn't that read CharlyBalmer? Been there, done that) Welcome to TFP.

I would say....if you plan on being in your home a long, long time, go with the gunite. Or if you want something more unusual.

My reasoning is that with vinyl you will have to replace it every so often (hopefully it will last up to 10 years) so the cost goes up then in increments. If you don't see yourself in the home down the road, I'd go with vinyl.

Just my 0.02 cents

Yip :flower: <--Skippy's better half

addendum- DOGS! If you have dogs you're going to welcome in to the pool, I'd go gunite.

Congrats on the new pool. Nice to have you with us. Welcome! :wave:

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Hey there CharlyBaltimore (shouldn't that read CharlyBalmer? Been there, done that) Welcome to TFP.

I would say....if you plan on being in your home a long, long time, go with the gunite. Or if you want something more unusual.

My reasoning is that with vinyl you will have to replace it every so often (hopefully it will last up to 10 years) so the cost goes up then in increments. If you don't see yourself in the home down the road, I'd go with vinyl.

Just my 0.02 cents

Yip :flower: <--Skippy's better half

addendum- DOGS! If you have dogs you're going to welcome in to the pool, I'd go gunite.

I feel like a dope...I don't get the Charly Balmer reference. :confused: :oops: Charly Baltimore is a character from one of my favorite movies. :D

Believe me, I tried the dog angle in my attempts for a gunite pool, but my husband is in charge of the finances and I couldn't sell him. LOL As it is, we're looking at spending 130k for the vinyl when all is said and done (20'x40' with built in 8'x8' spa - autocover.) The gunite pool proposal came in at 95k (20'x40' - no spa but with an autocover)...not including permits, electrical, plumbing, fill removal, pool surround, landscaping, irrigation repair, etc..

In regards to gunite, doesn't that have to be resurfaced every 10-12 years as well? We figured replacing a vinyl liner would be cheaper than resurfacing.

I feel like a dope...I don't get the Charly Balmer reference. :confused: :oops: Charly Baltimore is a character from one of my favorite movies. :D

Ohhhhh DUH! I'm sorry! I thought it was in reference to the city of Baltimore. Natives pronounce it "Balmer"

Believe me, I tried the dog angle in my attempts for a gunite pool, but my husband is in charge of the finances and I couldn't sell him. LOL As it is, we're looking at spending 130k for the vinyl when all is said and done (20'x40' with built in 8'x8' spa - autocover.) The gunite pool proposal came in at 95k (20'x40' - no spa but with an autocover)...not including permits, electrical, plumbing, fill removal, pool surround, landscaping, irrigation repair, etc..

Ouch. Shocking how expensive things are up on LI!

In regards to gunite, doesn't that have to be resurfaced every 10-12 years as well? We figured replacing a vinyl liner would be cheaper than resurfacing.

A lot of the pebble type finishes are supposed to last like 20-25 years....

For that kind of money I'd go with the vinyl. I'd also consider a stand alone spa/hot tub because in your climate you'll be closing your pool down in the fall so will lose access to the spa. Come winter there is nothing better than soaking in 102 degree water with snow flurries coming down on your face. Really!

Just fixing some incorrect info...we expect the vinyl pool to end up costing around 100k when all is said and done. Although knowing me, and unfortunately for my husband, I'll find some extras to bump that number up a bit. :oops: I have a knack for that. ;)