Intex 26' going up

Jun 14, 2015
Waycross, Ga
Been lurking here a year or so, been preparing my site for a while now. Had to cut into a slope on one side, and build up the other side a few inches. From reading, I know thats not ideal to build up a low side, but that's what I've got to work with, so I did it. We'll see if I did a good enough job shortly. I finally got down to business and got the pool up this morning. Pics to follow.

one thing I'm debating, is cutting pieces of wood to go between legs and my pavers- I put down 3/4" foam under the liner, but my pavers are dug in flush with ground. Now that it is up, I see that will put some slack in bottom of the liner, and decrease my depth by 3/4" if I leave it as is.

Also, for others considering the pavers- I located my pavers by assembling the top ring of frame, and then putting the pavers under the leg joints, then removing top ring and digging in & leveling pavers and setting elevations with water level. I agonized over where to put pavers relative to the legs- allowing for the legs to move outward some, I biased the locations towards the inside edge of the pavers. For the most part this approach has worked fine- but I do have several pavers that I may have to move a bit now that I have pool assembled. I contribute this to the frame not being perfectly round when I assembled it by itself. I discovered my pavers were not perfect when I cut my foam round. After my foam was taped together I put a nail in the middle of my foam and used a piece of fishing leader wire to the desired radius to scribe a perfect circle to cut my foam. Centering the foam disc on my pavers revealed some of them were not perfectly located on a circle. I think the frame depends on the liner and the weight of the water to push it out round when it is filled. The 'play' in the joints of the top frame by itself means it wont be perfectly round when assembled by itself. Just something to consider that if you can measure, or check roundness of the frame by itself before marking paver locations you may save yourself some grief later.

The locating, digging in, and leveling of the pavers and pool middle was an arduous task. Took me a couple weeks working on it as much as possible to get it done. If I had it to do again, I would STRONGLY consider paying someone to come and pour a round concrete pad to put the pool on.

overkill? maybe. But a ton of aggravating problems would be solved in a few hours while you watch and sit in the shade and drink lemonade.

Just a heads up, once the pool is full of water those legs will push out about 3". From the looks of the picture they might be off the pavers.

Correct. To rectify this I bought some inexpensive ratcheting straps from harbor freight and used those around the bottom of the pool to keep my pool legs perfectly plumb and on thr pavers. Pool stayed up year round for 5yrs before the west side of the liner started cracking and drying from the sun.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to monitor it closely as I fill. If they move more than I planned for & I have to move a few pavers, then I'll just jack it up & do it. Hate to have to disturb them though. My pavers are 8 X 16.

Sounds like a good plan with the ratcheting straps.

Right now I have about 8 inches of water in it and am going around with a torpedo level and watching the legs. They aren't doing much moving so far.

I have one or two that were close to the edge of the paver, but seem fine after a year. I attributed that to only being able to level a couple of pavers at a times due to weather last year, and the top rail getting moved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool looks great!

I recommend you upgrade to the 3000GPH Sandfilter system as soon as you can. That cartridge filter is way undersized for the pool.

Which test kit do you have?

Dom

I have a TF100 test kit ordered- not in hand yet.

I considered I may have inadvertantly let my pavers 'move some' while digging them in- but they way I did it was to get them where I wanted with the top ring, then spray painted around them, then dug them in. I think my slight mislocation is due to the top ring not being forced completely round when I marked my locations. Aggravating to say the least.

We are preparing to install our new 12'x24' Intex. We bought a larger filter/pump from the get-go and are thinking of selling the new Intex Krystal sand/salt system that came with our pool. It is new in unopened boxes.
I guess after we have the pool settled I will post some pictures, does this site have a 'for sale' section?

Filled pool off/on last few days. Installed Hayward wide mouth skimmer into wall. Pump is running. waiting on test kit I ordered. No idea whats going on with water, but it seems ok. Salt is in. Arbitrary amount of stabilizer in a sock attached to float. Half gallon of bleach added yesterday. Water was greenish yesterday before adding bleach and stabilizer sock. This morning it looks better.

I have to find a better way to connect skimmer to pump- what I did was jerry-rigged. Off to plumbing supply this AM.

Legs moved very little after about a foot of water was in.

What else should I do as I wait on test kit? (besides mow my grass)

Attachments

• IMG_20160708_070927700.jpg
    IMG_20160708_070927700.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 151
If your pump system isn't working all that well, brush the whole pool every day when you add chlorine until you get that fixed. I get 17k gallons in the pool calculator for your pool size (check behind me, it's early!) so if you have a SWG you will want a lot more than one sock of CYA. Best to not overshoot for now though while waiting on test kit.

I got so many helpful tips and ideas from reading the forum- I would have been stumbling in the dark without its help. It's really great to have such a helpful bunch of people and wealth of information for reference. If anyone has any specific questions about the 26 X 52 feel free to ask and I'll share what I learned/did. It's been a lot more to it than my wife and I thought when we made the snap purchase at walmart last year. But, I think it is worth it.

I'm going to need help with the chemicals- never owned a pool before. I'm reading and trying to get up to speed in the pool school. Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions.

Filling our 20' Intex ultra frame right now too! I agree with you Pioneer these things are worth paying someone to level it out. I've been pulling nights with a work light until 2-3 a.m. because it's too hot in the day. Never will I do this again with a shovel! Yours looks great! I'm wondering too what's the next step. I have a handheld PH meter and I know our city water is around 6.7 and very low as far as PPM. I'll probably order a decent test kit next week but tempted to go get a cheap one for this weekend to get it started. What is the first step in water management starting from scratch?

Filling our 20' Intex ultra frame right now too! I agree with you Pioneer these things are worth paying someone to level it out. I've been pulling nights with a work light until 2-3 a.m. because it's too hot in the day. Never will I do this again with a shovel! Yours looks great! I'm wondering too what's the next step. I have a handheld PH meter and I know our city water is around 6.7 and very low as far as PPM. I'll probably order a decent test kit next week but tempted to go get a cheap one for this weekend to get it started. What is the first step in water management starting from scratch?

Here's a place to start!
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.