Blue Streaks After Shocking!

Honestly. It's a bit controversial topic around here and I don't feel like getting attacked on an open forum. There's a member, SwampWoman (I think that's the exact username) on here who is very knowledgeable on metal removal. Her opinion is well respected. If I ever suspected a metal problem in my pool, I would def reach out to her.

First is to actually determine Copper is the culprit. Do you know the exact brand algaecide you used? So we can check the ingredients. Then I would get a water sample to get tested fro any metals. Not tested by a pool store, but by a real water treatment place. Like a company that sells and services water softeners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any easy way to tell if it is metal is to rub a vitamin C tablet on it for a few minutes. That will lighten the area you rub if the stain is metal.

I think OP did the Vitamin C test already. From what I understand it didn't lift immediately. Turned real dark at first and then after some time, the stain lifted. Every time I do a C test, I get same results. Freaks me out that initially it looks worse before it gets better.

Jack’s Magic Stain ID Kit for about $15 is the only one I'm familiar with. But if you do in-fact confirm it's copper, you may have heard the metal routine before but I'll toss a few reminders your way:
- Removing/exchanging the metal-filled water is always idea (if possible) to avoid continued sequestrant use later; or at least maximum water change to minimize the effects
- Probably best to allow pH and FC to ride a little lower which might help reduce the precipitating effects between chlorine and metal; no doubt your last FC increase prompted this reaction. Hopefully you are algae-free, otherwise you'll be starting all over. So definitely make sure your water is algae-free before trying to manipulate the metal in the water.
- If you keep the water (or most of it) and continue with chemical management, ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular) and the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster) are some of the top sequestrants. You're right, they are not cheap and will continue as long as you have that metal-filled water (if confirmed). You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.