New kid here

TDavis

Jul 6, 2016
Chesapeake
Good morning everyone... my name is Travis. Just bought a new house with an existing in ground pool. The owners let the pool sit for a few weeks and it turned pretty green. This is my first saltwater & in ground pool. Just stopping in and saying hi... and taking in all the great tech articles on here. Looks like there is plenty of knowledge here to combat this algae! Wish me luck.

Hello Travis and welcome to TFP! :wave: If you plan on taking 100% control of your pool and clearing that green water (and we hope you do), your first two objectives will be:
1 - Obtain the proper test kit (TF-100 link below)
2 - Review and be prepared to perform a TFP "SLAM" (link below)

The other links in my signature will help you as well. Great to have you with us.

Good luck with your pool as I was in the same boat when we bought a house with a pool - this is my first "full" season and learned tremendously through this site (and doing them). SLAM works well and make sure you check / clean your filter - and I didn't turn on my SWG until the water is clear.

Welp,went through the TFP SLAM... got the pool clear and beautiful. Just to find out my Hayward H40 chlorine generator isn't working. Consulted the google... and found a very helpful thread here on TFP!!!! I took the panel off, touched the current limiter and it crumbled. Got a new one on order and hopefully will be here in a couple days and I will re solder the new one in and pray I'm back in business. For the meantime, I will continue to monitor and add chlorine as needed.

All in all, I have had to jump through some hoops... but its websites like this that have a ton of useful info and threads that make owning a pool a little less scary.