Chlorine floatie keeps getting stuck near ladder!

Jul 6, 2016
Ringwood/NJ
Hi All,

I have a typical chlorine floatie for my chlorine tabs and whenever i put it in the water with the filter on, it makes a few circulations around the pool (12 foot round, 4.5 feet deep) and then always gets stuck by the ladder.

I am thinking of switching to granular chlorine and just mixing it with water and dumping it in the pool.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!!

I am not into studying pool chemistry, buying a million different kinds of products or reading a 2,000 reply thread.

Anyone have a simple solution here?

Thanks.

That's the beauty of the TFP way, you don't have to buy a million different products. I've only had to buy one, bleach.

It is a very small pool and all my levels are fine. I am not into studying pool chemistry, buying a million different kinds of products or reading a 2,000 reply thread.

Anyone have a simple solution here?

Thanks.

Aquaman1969 - I'll take a stab to answer your question the way it was intended:

1. In a small pool the floatie being stuck in one area isn't in and of itself problematic. the contents will slowly dissolve in that area by the ladder and your pump will circulate the chlorine.

2. If you choose to switch to a granular chlorine, there is no need dissolve in a bucket first. You can gently broadcast it over the surface and it will dissolve quickly. But this is still daily maintenance which I get the impression you are looking to avoid.

3. If you are willing anyway to do the extra work of having to dose granular every night <AND> you already suggested that you would take on the extra added effort of dissolving in a bucket, then yes - Bleach, or liquid chlorine is an easier and viable (preferred) option. Just be aware that whether you go liquid or granular, this is a task you have to perform every night.

Certainly is!! Look into these Pool Ladder Guard Panels. They are probably specific to each manufacture. But the purpose is so automatic cleaners and "stuff" doesn't get caught behind the ladder. They clip onto the side of the ladder. Here's an example from Amazon. But try searching around for something that fits your application.

Amazon.com: Zodiac G21 2 Panels Ladder Guard Replacement: Patio, Lawn Garden

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suspect you could build a ladder guard with a couple of zip ties, a piece of PVC and a heat gun. Heat the PC bend it to create a gentle contour on each side of the ladder and use the zip ties to attach it just below a step near or slightly below the water level.

Seasonal pool? Don't sweat it. If you must use pucks, go ahead and tie/leash the float on the down flow side, or take a $1 pool noodle and wedge on the up side of the flow so it pushes the floaty away from the backside of the ladder.

Another option how easy is it to remove the offending ladder?

Keep an eye on your CYA (Stabilizer) level, and adjust your chlorine level upwards accordingly.

How long is your pump run time? Are you brushing weekly at a minimum? Without the ladder in place your brushing would be easier.

Just some ideas. Good luck and enjoy your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.