Light conduit

Nov 11, 2015
Orange Park
I am in the middle of a home owner build of an 18x36 IG vinyl liner pool. I will be installing a pentair intellibrite 12v light in a pentair quick niche with an intermatic px300 transformer. My question is about running the conduit between the light niche and the transformer. The transformer will be mounted about three feet above the water level. Can I just run the conduit straight from the niche to the bottom of the transformer or does it need to go through a junction to prevent water from entering the transformer? If it is conduit straight from the niche to the transformer then do I need to put anything in either end of the conduit to prevent water from entering the transformer? Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You need a listed pool junction box That's where the cord from the light terminates. Hayward makes integrated junction box transformers.

Look at pages 15, 16 and 17 for how to wire pool lights of this document:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjc75OQtt_NAhUP42MKHdU5Ax8QFgghMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mikeholt.com%2Fdownload.php%3Ffile%3DPDF%2FSwimming_Pools_and_Spas_2014NEC.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHli4CC4UMdxP1Gtws655OlTlceYQ

The link will download a pdf document.

The light conduit is wet, YOU DO NOT PLUG IT BECAUSE YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE THE FIXTURE LATER.

You need a listed pool junction box That's where the cord from the light terminates. Hayward makes integrated junction box transformers.

Look at pages 15, 16 and 17 for how to wire pool lights of this document:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjc75OQtt_NAhUP42MKHdU5Ax8QFgghMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mikeholt.com%2Fdownload.php%3Ffile%3DPDF%2FSwimming_Pools_and_Spas_2014NEC.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHli4CC4UMdxP1Gtws655OlTlceYQ

The link will download a pdf document.

The light conduit is wet, YOU DO NOT PLUG IT BECAUSE YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE THE FIXTURE LATER.

Thanks for the info. I thought the light terminated into the transformer. I was thinking of a junction solely to stop water from entering transformer.

If you read the document pages i referenced the junction box has to be 8 inches above the water and 4 inches above ground. Most electricians place them at a greater height. The Jbox serves a variety of functions and there are very technical ways around using one that I would strongly not recommend.

As I said above Hayward makes a combo jbox and transformer.

One thing I was not clear about you must use a pool rated transformer - the PX 300 you mentioned is pool rated. Ya just can't go to HD and buy a low voltage transformer.

If you read the document pages i referenced the junction box has to be 8 inches above the water and 4 inches above ground. Most electricians place them at a greater height. The Jbox serves a variety of functions and there are very technical ways around using one that I would strongly not recommend.

As I said above Hayward makes a combo jbox and transformer.

One thing I was not clear about you must use a pool rated transformer - the PX 300 you mentioned is pool rated. Ya just can't go to HD and buy a low voltage transformer.

Thanks again for the info. My only concern with using a junction box is it would add a splice to the wire. Could I use a junction box and pass the wire through it without it actually being a "junction".

The wire from the light niche is attached to the light fixture and is a cord. The purpose of the junction box is a safe location to terminate the cord. Because cords are difficult to run through conduit (especially as it gets older) you want as shot a run as possible from the niche to the jbox. Note you also have to have a bonding jumper in that conduit also #8 insulated copper terminated at the niche covered in putty and attached to the bonding junction in the Jbox.

I think it would be ok to pass the positive and negative through but if I am reading it correctly the ground needs to be attached to the box. So if you were trying not to cut it you would have to at least strip back some insulation and attach it to a terminal block. Cutting and splicing at the junction will not cause any problems electricians have been doing it for years and problems are almost nonexistent if the wire nuts are installed properly. When you install the light be sure to leave enough slack at the neich to pull the light up on the deck should it need servicing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The wire from the light niche is attached to the light fixture and is a cord. The purpose of the junction box is a safe location to terminate the cord. Because cords are difficult to run through conduit (especially as it gets older) you want as shot a run as possible from the niche to the jbox. Note you also have to have a bonding jumper in that conduit also #8 insulated copper terminated at the niche covered in putty and attached to the bonding junction in the Jbox.

Inside the cord that is attached to the light is a green ground wire, does that count as the bonding wire inside the conduit or do I need to run an additional one. Thanks again.

Trying to find insulated solid copper #8 awg wire to use as a bonding wire inside the conduit. Having trouble finding it. Anyone know of a good place online. Most of what i find for sold copper is bare. Thanks.

Trying to find insulated solid copper #8 awg wire to use as a bonding wire inside the conduit. Having trouble finding it. Anyone know of a good place online. Most of what i find for sold copper is bare. Thanks.

#8 awg non-insulated for bonding

- - - Updated - - -

Does the bond wire inside the conduit get attached to the lug on the pump with the rest of the bonding or does it get attached to the ground bar inside the transformer. Thanks again.

All equipment should have bonding lugs. It is never connected to a ground wire/lug/bar.

So I can use bare copper in the conduit for bonding?

I would just bury it in the ground along side the conduit, but you could run it inside. The most light niches have bonding lugs both inside and outside. Some of this will be equipment dependent and how the J box is configured.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.