Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I added CYA by sock method today. How long before I should expect the CYA to be reflected in the CYA test. I know it's a week if you just add it to the skimmer; I assume it's faster if you use a sock.

The CYA I got to start up a new pool last weekend the directions were to pour it into the skimmer then wait 3 days for it to be dissolved. My experience with the sock method is after putting the sock in the skimmer a few days later there was still a lot of CYA in the sock, so I ended up just working the sock in the pool until all the product was out. The next times I added it, I put the sock in the water to let everything get saturated, then I just worked the sock until it was all worked into the water. I can't imagine it taking a week for it all to dissolve. I discovered today that I was out of the CYA reagent, I will get more tomorrow. That will be day #4 for the CYA, so I figure I will test tomorrow and see what it's like.

I've added mine in a sock in the skimmer but end up holding the sock in front of the return and squeezing it until it's all dissolved, actually only takes about 30 minutes and it's all dissolved.

That sounds like what I do. I work those socks in front of a skimmer when I'm in the pool. But....I don't place them in the skimmer anymore. I tie them to a pool noodle and let them float. Then when I can get back to them the granules are like fine powder that just needs to be released.

Warning about CYA. I opened my pool in mid June with 0 CYA. It was a black pond. I cleared it nicely after 2 weeks and all the levels are OK now. I was shocking it but also pumping it with tricolor tablets. I probably went through about 12 tablets. My CYA was 75 today and now I just relax. I know it's a bit high but it will go down as I top off the splashed water. Plus, I don't mind adding about 33 oz of sodium hypo pool strength chlorine every other day or so. So just run 3-4 tablets in skimmer depending on size of pool if you want to add CYA. It will rise quickly from my experience. Just my 2 cents.

Warning about CYA. I opened my pool in mid June with 0 CYA. It was a black pond. I cleared it nicely after 2 weeks and all the levels are OK now. I was shocking it but also pumping it with tricolor tablets. I probably went through about 12 tablets. My CYA was 75 today and now I just relax. I know it's a bit high but it will go down as I top off the splashed water. Plus, I don't mind adding about 33 oz of sodium hypo pool strength chlorine every other day or so. So just run 3-4 tablets in skimmer depending on size of pool if you want to add CYA. It will rise quickly from my experience. Just my 2 cents.

We generally don't reccomend chlorinating with pucks due to the constant addition of CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.