how to measure FC higher than the test kit allows

aodino

Bronze Supporter
Jun 12, 2016
Holmdel NJ
And so I am simply curious. Should I have a need to slam my pool my taylor test kit only goes up to a 5-10 for the top of the chlorine scale. It has a color match scale of (i forget the bottom one) but then 2-4, 3-5, and lastly 6-10.
If I had to slam up to say 20 (just for discussion) then how can I possibly know when at that level if my test kit only goes up to 10?

And so I am simply curious. Should I have a need to slam my pool my taylor test kit only goes up to a 5-10 for the top of the chlorine scale. It has a color match scale of (i forget the bottom one) but then 2-4, 3-5, and lastly 6-10.
If I had to slam up to say 20 (just for discussion) then how can I possibly know when at that level if my test kit only goes up to 10?

An fas-dpd chlorine test kit is recommended. You really can't measure accurately at high levels of FC with the color matching test that goes to 5. Even diluting the water will be giving you a guesstamate.

You hit on one of the main points of the recommended kits such as the TF-100 it has an FAS-DPD FC test that can test much higher with .5 or even .2 ppm accuracy, thought there is not much need for the .2 ppm test better to save reagents and use the .5 test

and so...with the test kit I have, I am out of luck for knowing true shock reading level. Looks like pool math (should I have to shock) is what will have to be good enough to obtain desired level. Unless I buy a different kit.

Pool math can get you to shock level, but doesn't help you trying to maintain it. For example if you bring to 20, then an hour later you are at 14 you are still too high to test without the proper test kit. You would have to wait until you are way too low to be doing much good until you bring back to shock level again, which isn't a very effective SLAM.

You also will not be able to test for CC that is a key part of SLAM. You can buy the 3 components for the FAS-DPD test separately but when you start to piecing things together you quickly get to the point it makes more sense to buy the whole kit. Since you are a supporter you can get a 10 discount at TFtestkits.net on the TF-100

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.