Pool will not clear with Zeolite

Berrie

Apr 16, 2016
Leesburg, GA
Hi,

I have a gunite inground pool, 20 x 40, with a Hayward filter, 2HP pump.
When I purchased the house, the pool was neglected, so I cleaned it out and replaced the filter media with Zeolite. That year the water was decent.
Last year and even more so this year, the water is filthy, green/brownish, constantly depositing a layer of sludge on the bottom. There are no trees nearby, so no leaves.
I opened the filter, and the Zeolite had tunneled.
I broke it up, and flushed the Zeolite with a garden hose for about 4 hours. The water coming out of the top was still filthy and full of debris. After another 4 hours, the water became somewhat clear, and free of debris. I stopped the water, and drained the filter. Shortly after that, I felt the Zeolite, and there was a slimy 1/4" thick layer of gunk across the top of the Zeolite. I scraped it off, and flushed the filter again with the hose for another 4 hours. The Zeolite is still not clean.
I'm about the take it all out and replace it with sand.
It shouldn't be this hard to keep the pool water clear.
South GA, pool water by now is 94`F.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Berrie

Welcome to the forum.

How are you maintaining water chemistry? Green water is a sign of algae and that can't be helping matters with the filter. You are going to need to deep clean as Gwegan sugested but if you don't get the water sanitized you will just end up on a treadmill of sorts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.