How do you say "I know nothing about pools" in French?

Jun 26, 2016
Houston, TX
So I'm an idiot about pools. Have never had one before. Have no idea how to maintain them. Have read through a lot of the basic stuff on this site, but am so ignorant I'm pretty sure I don't understand half of what I'm reading. Help?

My husband and I bought a farm in the French countryside (northwestern France; near Normandy/Brittany, so a climate much like Seattle), and it came with a pool. After a few years of my mother-in-law fighting with it and having very little success, we gave up about two years ago and just pretended like it wasn't there. This summer, I'm bound and determined to figure out how to manage this pool properly.

It's a Desjoyeaux pool, about 90 cubic meters (~23000 gallons) and it seems to have a bit of a strange pump/filtration system, which uses a cloth sack which can/must be removed pretty regularly and cleaned using the hose. Home | Desjoyaux Pools (It seems what we've got is a 180 Filtration System, if that means anything to anyone...)

Where we are currently:

We uncovered the pool about a week ago and discovered a dark green/black swamp under the tarp which was home to a lot of insects. We opened the pump box and found a nest of snakes. After considering whether or not napalm was an acceptable option, and after reading a bit on the internet, I decided that the first step would be to take out as much large debris as possible, so I skimmed the pool for ages and dredged as much of the bottom of the pool as I could. Then, I began shocking it. (And rehoming snakes.) One potential error: I didn't run the pump while I was shocking it during this time. Mostly because I literally had no idea what the mechanism was for the filtration system, and decided dumping a bunch of chemicals and running away was safer than flicking switches and hoping for the best.

So far so good! Three snakes later, the pool gradually changed in color from black/green to milky white/blue. And I thought we might sort of be out of the woods. But even changing/cleaning the filter every two hours hasn't reduced the cloudiness in the pool. So then I thought, perhaps my previous activities were insufficient and I decided what I'd do is shock the pool again and this time circulate the water with the pump running (without the filter in place). I tested the water and there was no chlorine to speak of (or very little) and the Ph was lower than 6.8.

I started the pump, dumped a metric ton of shock into the pool, and also went crazy with the Ph Plus. Perhaps unsurprisingly, a whole lot more stuff came to the surface over the next two hours. The coloration went back from milky white/blue to a brown/green, and after about two hours the Chlorine was reading at about 3.0, but the Ph was still about 6.8 or so. By then I had run out of anything to raise the Ph, and it was getting dark, so I declared yet another day of defeat and decided I'd finally write in to the forums in the hopes that calling in the cavalry might save me some anguish and perhaps make this pool swimmable sometime before August.

I'm not sure if anyone else has a cloth filter pool, but holy smokes they're ridiculous. Of course there's plenty of particulate matter being collected by them right now with all the dead algae floating around. It's enough that if I leave the filter for too long, the frame that holds it in place will break and the whole bag will get sucked into the pump system! I've had to fish the silly bag out twice. We ordered a 6 micron bag from the supplier, and the pressure on the bag was so great that it actually ripped, after only a couple hours in place! Oops?

Anyway, thanks for reading. I have no idea if any of this makes any sense to anyone out there, or if you have any suggestions for what I should do next, but any assistance is appreciated.

Patrick

Hello Patrick and welcome to TFP! :wave: Yours may be a case where some pics might be a good idea for our members to see exactly what you have back in France. While in the states, we hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to obtain the TF-100 (XL Option) with Speed Stir since getting it over there may be difficult. Nice to have you with us, and we hope we can assist you in the future. Please refer to and bookmark the vital links you see below in my signature for future reference.

Hi all! I went out to the pool this morning and snapped some pictures. I also retested the water and the Ph was still low, in the 6.8 or lower range and the chlorine had come down a bit (wasn't nearly so excitingly yellow as yesterday).

This is the current state of the pool.
4c4f451c9199e66960bd8f6bb9af331a.jpg

2a631afeb8038d766a769527d3d4d0d4.jpg

This is the pump mechanism where the filter bag and skimmer go.
a81a02344f3d96dcce7cd5eaca3fb1ac.jpg

This is where the skimmer and filter bag go, exactly.
2c70a9ede9743dce9feea8575821a157.jpg

And this is the filter bag.
c326f27861aa82292fe8dc1eead4dafa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that go on to a pool filter somewhere? Or is that it for filtration? That set up looks more like a pre-filter for a pond. It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8.

Looks far better than the visual I had in my head!
What testing kit are you using?

20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
Approx 38k gal
Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
Sand filter
DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

Re: How do you say "I know nothing about pools" in French?

What I am using is a "trousse d'analyse: ph et chlor" which is something along the lines of the product at this link.

Trousse d'analyse : ph et chlore - 3628 - Jardin piscine

- - - Updated - - -

But I also picked up this product, which should arrive tomorrow since it looks like it tests for a handful of the additional factors that I know TFP likes to consider.

AquaChek - 50 Bandelettes danalyse piscine Testeur 4 en 1 Aquachek Chlore/pH Jaune/Bleu: Amazon.fr: Jardin

Surely there's a mod here that speaks French?
Any chance on you providing a link to the English versions of these products? Otherwise, folks are going to keep telling you to order the suggested kit.
We too bought a foreclosure (well it was a gov't seized home). Have had multiple problems ranging from paint to leaks to finally just needing a complete resurface (which we DIY'd).
As if that wasn't enough, after refilling the pool and hiring someone to care for it, they jacked it up. ROYALLY.
I hemmed and hawed on the pool kit. Finally bought it and it became SO much easier to understand everything!
All this to tell you - when folks push the specific test kit, it's not so TFP makes the money. It's because to get things where you want them, it makes it FAR easier.

20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
Approx 38k gal
Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
Sand filter
DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

Okay Patrick, I'll admit I was born in France (Croix Chapeau/La Rochelle), but that's as far as my abilities go. :p Fact is those that those two testing products you are using are extremely limited. The AquaCheck Strips are virtually useless - all test strips are really. Simply not reliable. The 2-way tester will give you pH which is good, but the FC (Free Chlorine) will be extremely limited and not support your SLAM efforts.

Your best chance at success is to find a way to get the TF-100 (XL Option) or Taylor K-2006C. Both of those kits are extremely dependable and have the "FAS-DPD" (powder & drops) required to test FC at much higher levels. If you can't order them directly to your residence in France, perhaps you have family/friends stateside who can assist?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all. Probably not practical to get the recommended test kit here in a timely way. We are here only until August and then we go home to Texas. Looks like I'll just cover her back up and try to get a test kit once I'm back in the US, before I come back to France next summer. I guess the snakes and frogs and whatnot get another year to enjoy the pool!

Do you accept guests who pay their way in pool maintenance?

We considered telling all our guests that this was just a new Eco trend and that it was a rejuvenating spa treatment with algae. We decided we might suggest to them that they each take home some of the algae to help the healing process last longer.

But I like your idea better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that go on to a pool filter somewhere? Or is that it for filtration? That set up looks more like a pre-filter for a pond. It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8.

If you check the link he provides in the OP, this company seems to think that something along the lines of a vacuum cleaner bag will filter their pools just fine. They also offer "salt pools instead of chlorine pools", and even chlorine free options.

That bag is indeed his filter media. It's the only thing that is filtering the water, by design.

I have owned a desjoyeaux pool for 13 years, quite possibly the worst decision ever! Finding parts is very difficult here in the USA, Most parts I order from France and have them delivered. My pool has not been running correctly since 2013, I have rebuilt the entire system myself, here's hoping to a trouble free 2017 summer pool season!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.