Temperature not consistent throughout pool

jay9

Jun 8, 2016
Oswego ny
Greetings,
I have a Coleman 16x48 Power Steel pool. I installed a skimmer in it a few weeks ago with tips from this site.
It does a nice job of keeping the surface clear. However I'm having an issue and I had this last year before the skimmer.
The water on the first foot or so is warm,however below that is is a lot cooler. I used a solar cover this year and it still has
the issue,I even just bought one of those Intex solar mats that the return water runs through. I just checked the floating
thermometer,it is about 86 deg. But I stick my arm in and once past that upper foot of water it is a lot cooler. The pool is in direct
Sunlight . Any ideas ?

With a single return in the pool, you're going to be trading between surface skimming and deeper mixing. If you aim the return along the surface, you'll get great skimming. If you aim in the same direction but more downward, you'll get better mixing with the deeper water, but the skimming will not be as good. I would tweak the return to run a little more below the surface or when you put the cover on, unscrew the return eyeball about 1/8 of a turn so it aims slightly downward to get better deep circulation.

You have a thermocline. I have two thermometers, one at the surface and one on the bottom. When my wife wants to know the water temp, I report both readings, just for giggles. Yes perfectly normal and the posters above have hit the nail on the head. :snorkle:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.