How much bleach will I need - per week/month/season??

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
I'm going to try the BBB method this year. I have a large pool - 21x41x54" pool - if I use, say, 6% WM bleach, how many bottles do you think I'll need? We don't have a WM here, so I can't just pop in and get some whenever I want, so I'll need to plan ahead.. and storage - how would I store that much? Obviously not in the pool house, right??

And the baking soda - I saw big bags in the pool section of Walmart - how many of those (at like $6.xx) would I need, do you think?

Thanks for the planning help!

Bleach will lose its potency over time, especially if you store it someplace that gets really warm. So you don't want to stock up for the whole season. Offhand I don't remember how fast it goes, hopefully somebody will come along who knows where to find that info.

I can't remember ever using baking soda, my TA is always too high. Whether you'll need it depends on what your water is like.
--paulr

The chart at the bottom of this link will give you some idea of the half-life of various strengths of chlorinating liquid or bleach at various temperatures. 6% bleach will last many months unless the temps are really hot. At room temperature, you can keep it for an entire season with only some loss. It's 10% and 12.5% chlorinating liquid that is more of an issue in terms of only lasting a month or two in terms of noticeably losing its potency unless kept cooler. This also assumes a quality product.

At 29,000 gallons, your pool is indeed large. As for chlorine usage, that depends a lot on whether you have a pool cover. I'd strongly suggest one as it will significantly cut down your chlorine usage. It will also significantly cut down evaporation and water usage from refill which increases Total Alkalinity (TA) and Calcium Hardness (CH).

Every 1 ppm FC per day chlorine usage would require for every month around 14 gallons of 6% bleach (that's about 19 3/4-gallon jugs or 9 1.5-gallon jugs). With a pool cover, you can usually expect < 1 ppm FC per day chlorine usage. Without a pool cover, figure on 2-3 ppm FC per day usage, depending on the amount of sun on your pool and the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. It's possible with 6 ppm FC and 80 ppm CYA that you might use closer to 1 ppm FC per day if you are lucky.

You might seriously consider getting some sort of saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) for your pool. Otherwise, you're going to be hauling an awful lot of bleach. It's possible that 50 ppm Borates in your pool would slightly cut down the chlorine usage and also let you maintain a somewhat lower FC level, but we don't have a lot of experience with this (I'm very happy with the Borates in my own pool that have appeared to cut down chlorine usage from 1 ppm FC to 0.8 ppm FC and that's with a pool cover).

Richard

A pool typically uses around 2 ppm of chlorine per day during the summer. Less chlorine is required in the spring and fall. And, of course, every pool is different. Your pool might use more or less chlorine than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.