Just Bought A House With A Pool...Where to Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush3pwood

Silver Supporter
Jul 5, 2016
Marcellus, NY
So I just bought a house with an above ground pool. When we looked at the place back in May, it was full of green water. Everything else looked to be in great shape. Since I have no idea if the owners have done anything with it in the time since then, I'm going to assume it's still green...so...where do I begin? Not with only getting the water back to blue, but...how do I run a pool? There's a pump...or filter...or...something I have to turn on, right? How often? Etc.

Just not sure where to begin, but any advice you guys can offer I'll gladly take. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Here's your starter checklist:
- Order the proper test kit (TF-100 XL Option with Speed Stir) or Taylor K-2006C (Link below); everything you do hinges on the results from one of those tests
- Inspect your equipment; ask questions or post pics about what you are not sure of
- Try a quick function check to see if the pump and everything works
- Manually scoop any debris out of the water until you get your proper test kit.

We can't overemphasize enough the test kit. Post a full set of numbers and we can get you going. Great to have you with us.

Welcome!

Please update your signature with your pool details.

Please put the following information in your signature.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

If you need help figuring out your equipment, just post pics! Non-members are limited in the size/amount of photos, so becoming a member (tax deductible as TFP is a non-profit) removes this restriction. You can also post photos using photobucket and link them in your post.

Understood... my closings have always allowed for a final walk-through with your real estate agent a day before closing. Not sure if your closing will allow this, but it is a opportunity to make sure nothing has changed/been removed since you last inspected the house.

Yes, we are doing that on Thursday. I'll take lots of pictures and see if I can discern any of that info from the photos. I'm sure I'll need all your help! ;)

Wishing you have an uneventful closing :) I bought a foreclosure and my pool was in terrible shape. The folks on this website should help you navigate any issues that come up and we are great at clearing swamps :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can get a good, filled one here:

TFTestkits.net

This is also the place you can get your test kit. I suggest you get the TF-100 XL as you wll need all of the extra regents to get your pool clear.

We will be here to help you when you are ready!

Kim:cat:

Aw man, I already ordered my test kit. Didn't know I needed the XL, I only got the TF-100. What's the difference? Can I just order what I'm missing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.