Just Bought A House With A Pool...Where to Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah mine was the same way.. Oak leaves break down real quick and leave a wonderful silt on the bottom.. Took about 6 hours to pick up the crud and get it all vacuumed out...
Get that pump running as soon as you can... Have you popped the top to see what the inside of the filter looks like? You don't necessarily have to but my tinker monkey brain would've been way to curious...

LOL cj3737 you and I are quite a bit alike..........I have to take it apart to see how it works. My husband learned REAL fast to make sure I had at least pictures for me to look at to know how it works. I press every button and pull every lever to see what happens LOL Most things I can put back together :rolleyes: after I am done with them.

Kim:cat:

Oh yeah, I took it apart. Not a ton in there. A couple of decaying bugs and a bunch of pine needles. There had been a chlorine puck in there, but it was gone by the time we got back from vacation.

I have the replacement gauge and test in hand. Tonight I'll be going to the new place. What should I do and in what order? I'm thinking replacement gauge, run the pump for a while and then see if I can't figure out how to actually test the water?

Just make sure water is moving for 30 minutes prior to pulling a water sample.

Oh and the cya test has to be in full sunshine, back to sun, vial to fingers held at waist level. If cloudy or dark, take water sample home to test cya later when you have good sunshine. You can pour the water back and forth between the vial and bottle if you are unsure. Don't stare at cya test just glance.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm not kidding about the cya test. It is a turbidity base test and lighting is very important.

Any Cya result between numbers is rounded up to the next highest number
So a result that lands between 30 and 40 is rounded up to 40.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh yeah, I took it apart. Not a ton in there. A couple of decaying bugs and a bunch of pine needles. There had been a chlorine puck in there, but it was gone by the time we got back from vacation.

I have the replacement gauge and test in hand. Tonight I'll be going to the new place. What should I do and in what order? I'm thinking replacement gauge, run the pump for a while and then see if I can't figure out how to actually test the water?

Random CYA addition.. Chlorine puck in the filter...previous owners must have had a "professional" stop by...Who knows what its at..
Yeah.. change the gauge and run the filter... While its going, read all the directions on your kit and become familiar..

When you do CYA, do what KC said... you may get a reading, you may not.. no worries yet..We'll get to that...

Id throw another gallon of bleach in just as you start up the pump... That much algae in the pool has most likely eaten what you put in yesterday...

- - - Updated - - -

Should I not get it wet or feed it after midnight as well?!

AWESOME!!!!:bounce:

Test your PH too, very important to have that reading. Especially if it's low you will want to get that corrected right away. A reading of 7 is a neutral PH, anything below 7 is acidic and above 7 is alkaline, so you want to keep it at 7.2-7.8 so you don't get corrosion or scale.

I would run the CYA test anyway, your result may not be completely accurate but you will easily be able to tell if the level is either very low or very high. That way you have a better idea if you need to add cya or start a drain and refill process before you can SLAM. When you run the test, the more cloudy the sample looks the more CYA is present.

If you don't need to drain and refill then add more bleach right away and get that FC level heading up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.