New at this pool thing, help :)

jbgol

May 26, 2009
We have a 22' x 4' round pool, we forgot to tarp it and have been bleaching the tar out of it to get rid of the green, it was really swampy!!! we even had tadpoles :) - we got it to a cloudy greyish green color now and added 4 more bleach - i tested the H20 after adding the bleach and we are at FC - 5 and PH 8.0 - are there more things i should be watching?? how do i get the cloudiness to go away?? thanks!!!

You should be watching more than FC and pH. The regulars here are nuts about the TF100 kit from tftestkits.net, or the Taylor K-2006 from various places. These kits let you test FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA. That will cover most situations.

Check out the Pool School here, if you haven't yet. Big honkin' button on the upper right of every page.

pH 8.0 is too high; you'll want to bring that down. There's no way to know what else to advise without a more complete set of test results. Is there a pool store nearby? They'll generally test for free; typically they aren't as good as you'd get yourself, but it's better than nothing.
--paulr

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Paul's right, for us to give you proper advice we need a full set of test results.

Read Pool School, most of your questions can be answered there. Then if you still need assistance, post back here and we'll try to help. :goodjob:

So here are all the levels this morning after the four bleach last night - and looks like we have some white stuff floating on the top of the pool today - still cloudy

FC - 1
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 40
CH - 90
CYA - not sure about this one - it says to fill up the small tube till no black dot, I get it all the way full and i can still see the dot

What kit are you testing with? If you can still see the black dot it means your CYA is zero, assuming you followed the instructions correctly. Did you mix as instructed?

Refer to the chart - assuming 0 CYA your shock level is 10. You need to get some CYA in your pool and then maintain appropriate shock levels, run the filter 24/7 and your pool will clear. Once the water is clear and the FC holds overnight, you can return to normal pump run time and allow the FC to drop.

Read about your Recommended Levels and How to Shock your Pool in Pool School. :goodjob:

Ok measured levels this morning after 4 bleaches last night - water is still cloudy and we have some white stuff floating on the top -

FC - 1
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
TA - 40
CH - 90
CYA - i don't get this one, it says to fill small tube till can't see the black dot, i get it to the top and i can still see the dot

we have a sand filter - above ground pool (sorry i forgot that earlier) - and it gets sun almost all day (no trees to block it, house in morning, neighbors house in evening)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.